PDA

View Full Version : Tiger

Goonyella
30th May 2011, 08:42 PM

Thought I would share my lates intarsia piece.
This one is Kathy Wise pattern titled "Jumping Tiger".
There are over 500 pieces. The timber used was mainly American Cherry, Wenge, Silver Ash and bits and piece I found in the shed.
It took over a year to complete, due to the fact that I don't get to the shed as much as I would like.
There were a few times when I thought I would never finish and a few times when I nearly gave up. Cutting the Wenge was very difficult, it is the hardest timber I have ever tried to cut.
I did this one for my wife who loves tigers. I did a Judy Gale Roberts one several years ago.
My wife loves it, as does anyone who has seen it.
This is the most difficult intarsia I have done and at the risk of blowing my own trumpet, one I am very proud of.
Thanks for looking.
Steve.

Sir Stinkalot
30th May 2011, 09:01 PM
Looks great Steve ..... well worth the effort.

I like that it doesn't have a backing board and sits so well on the wall.

mongrell
31st May 2011, 08:55 AM
bloody excellent ,a real show stopper no wonder youre proud of it :2tsup:

artme
31st May 2011, 01:56 PM
:brava:brava:brava:bravaStunning mate, stunning!!!

Robson Valley
31st May 2011, 04:56 PM
This piece sets a GOLD Standard for me when I look at Intarsia.

Yeah, so you don't get out to the shed as often as you like. I hope that you're happy with the end of the day.

Great piece of work.

LiliB
31st May 2011, 05:39 PM
Just sensational!!! I love intarsia, but it doesn't appear to have taken up widely here in Oz. I plan to rectify that in the near future, and get into it.

You have certainly set the benchmark for those of us who intend to do this kind of thing.

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Ironwood
31st May 2011, 06:48 PM
That's a beautiful bit of work there Steve, Well done.

How big is the finished piece ? It's a bit hard to tell from the photos.

Goonyella
31st May 2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

LiliB your right about intarsia being popular in Australia. I have a few more projects in mind that I hope to do as time permits. When I do I will post on this forum and hopefully encourage others to try intarsia.

Not all my pieces are as difficult as the tiger, I just like a challenge sometimes.

Ironwood she is over a metre in length and about 600mm in width.

Again thanks for the comments.

Steve.

Robson Valley
1st June 2011, 02:32 PM
I skimmed through the Kathy Wise internet site, just to take a peek at he patterns.

From where do you summon up the patience and desire to do this?

In the religious sense, HELL is a never ending sanding job which never goes smooth.

Goonyella
2nd June 2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Robson Valley,

I will admit sanding is NOT one of my favorite things to do.
The ones I do have to really appeal to me. Which is probably why I don't do that many.

Kathy Wise does some wonderful work and her patterns are very good. She is my inspiration. Judy Gale Roberts is another favorite. Here in Australia the only one I can find is at Fantastic Woodworking. I have done a couple of his.

rogerjenkins
16th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Now that is a," Big Puddy Cat, " picture :!:! Well done there mate :):) One heck of a patience tester too I would imagine too. 500 pieces,- you wouldn't want to stuff any up,- or try to put the wrong piece in the wrong place:!:!
Congratulations on a job well done.:2tsup: Must look magnificent on the wall, and, ( must I say ), a very good conversation piece with your visitors too.
I am only a begginer with Intarsia, as have only discovered this uniquely beautiful form of wood art in the last several weeks,- and am already, " hooked, " solely by viewing what others have made, both here in OZ and in the USA,- who knows,- give me a couple of years, and, maybe with a bit of luck, I might just be catching up on the skill level with the quality of your workmanship,- although, can't see myself tackling a 500 piece project:!:!
Happy woodworking,:)
Roger