PDA

View Full Version : A few vases I've been working on

dr4g0nfly
1st June 2011, 06:19 AM
Having been introduced to hollowing I decided to have a go at a few vases, (I'll build up to Hollow-forms and working through small holes!)

Coloured

The Dark Blue one is Eucalyptus 170mm High - whatever Euc it is that grows here in the UK!

The Light Blue one is Flowering Cherry, 220mm High - The same blue but thinned with a lot of spirits, I was trying for a more Ice Blue effect, maybe next time!

The Multi-Coloured one is also Eucalyptus, 235mm High (SWMBO wanted it like this, I hate it; she loves it - discuss!)

Not Coloured

The normal Vase shaped one is Spalted Apple, 210mm High. The branch died on the tree and a friend dragged it to me on the train on his way to work - there's friendship for you!

The waisted one is Laburnum, 2 views to show the difference in Heart & Growth Wood, 200mm High.

All finished in many layers of Oil.

artme
1st June 2011, 07:08 AM
pretty spiphphy vases there Dr4gonfly!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like the look of all of them, Although I must say the blue one is an unusual shape.

The finishing is superb!!:):)

Michael Spain
1st June 2011, 09:03 AM
Simple but beautiful, very harmonious, very smooth curves as the body of a woman, very good choice of wood color and detail will provide quality and personal touch of the artist, congratulations a good job.:2tsup::;

Ozkaban
1st June 2011, 09:04 AM
Nice! My favourite is the waisted one. The wood grain and the shape match up well.

Which oil did you use?

Cheers,
Dave

dai sensei
1st June 2011, 09:05 AM
Great looking selection :cool:

ps I'm with your wife :p

johnredl
1st June 2011, 09:11 AM
Great looking selection :cool:

ps I'm with your wife :p

Nice vases. I like the color if the blue one.

Ps. I dont know ur wife

Randir
1st June 2011, 10:27 AM
I really like them. I like the colour on the multicoloured one, and the way it follows the grain. The first one ("dark blue") is very effective as well. For first hollowing efforts, pretty impressive!

Cliff Rogers
1st June 2011, 10:37 AM
Interesting. :2tsup:

Do you put weights in the bottom of them?

I have found that tall skinny vases tip over to easily even with just a couple of bit of grass in them, a breeze will tip them.

dr4g0nfly
2nd June 2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the comments.

They are not really my first vases, but (shall we say) there are a few in the workshop trash-can that never made it, (cut through the sides or bottom, split while drying, etc.)

The Light blue one was based upon my recollection of a ceramic vase SWMBO had. The top section had an embossed crown type figure on it. I think it's a bit longer than the original but without any figuring it seems to balance, at least to my eye. Maybe I'll have to try carving as well - eh, Nah, too many hobbies already!

I try to leave about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of timber in the base to give the tall slim ones some weight, and balance effect.

They seem to take dried flowers okay, but as for a breeze toppling them - I'll have to let you know. You're just leaving Summer with it's soft breezes and open windows, ours is just arriving (we hope!)

thompy
2nd June 2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the comments.

They are not really my first vases, but (shall we say) there are a few in the workshop trash-can that never made it, (cut through the sides or bottom, split while drying, etc.)

Fish them back out of the bin mate, i once read on this forum "if it holds water, its functional, if it doesn't, then its art" i'd add also that if it doesnt work in that form then its possible to have another use, with that said i use my fails as a visual reminder, or something else to try (piercing / carving). I'm the type to look at the shavings and see a pot pouri mix begin though, and lastly as fire, lol.

The Light blue one was based upon my recollection of a ceramic vase SWMBO had. The top section had an embossed crown type figure on it. I think it's a bit longer than the original but without any figuring it seems to balance, at least to my eye. Maybe I'll have to try carving as well - eh, Nah, too many hobbies already!

Heresy!!! lol , give it a go on the fails, what have u got to lose by trying, nothing ventured nothing gained, you may find your good at it, and if not see above, and a tip, broaden the banner of your hobby, dont separate em.
I'm trying to get a ute passed by my minister of finance that way for example, "how is a ute for your woodworking hobby?" she asks, to wit "well i can hardly carry a chainsaw in your car or cart wood in it now can i?"...see what i did there?

I try to leave about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of timber in the base to give the tall slim ones some weight, and balance effect.

I've not been introduced to deep hollowing yet myself, but i certainly appreciate it, for your first runs they're quite lovely.

They seem to take dried flowers okay, but as for a breeze toppling them - I'll have to let you know. You're just leaving Summer with it's soft breezes and open windows, ours is just arriving (we hope!)

Midwinter here at present, weather globally is a bit odd this year though huh. You could always use that florist foam for flowers too inside the forms, from memory it is quite dense.

Neal.