PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget

PenTurner
1st June 2011, 06:35 AM
For those new to the Forum, I encourage you to make a pen or two or more if you wish, send them to me, so I can pass them on to our troops.
My wife and I and son Joel, visited the Normandy Beaches where D -Day took place, there is a sense of awe and great sadness. First we went to the Canadian War Cemetry(sorry we could not physically get to the Australian one in Somme due to travel and time constraints), at the Canadian War memorial Cemetry both my wife and I cried our hearts out, sure they are from another country, but to see so many young people lie in the ground was a tragedy, our hearts went out to their families as we read the small messages on the tombstones.
We visited the landing beaches, those young men were sitting ducks as they got off there landing pontoons-horrific.
Then visited the American War Memorial cemetry, thousands of rows of white marble crosses, you see it in the movies but in presence it is absolutely over powering, our guide told us how 2 years ago he took a 60 year old lady to visit the grave of her father, she was only a babe in arms when he left never to return, he said she sobbed at the graveside-how heart wrenching.
Finally you see me with a War Veteran from USA "Joe", he went in as a 20 year old, and this was his first time to visit fallen mates. Lest We Forget- we may not agree with war, personally I now hate it even more, but these young men and women shed there blood, gave up their lives so we could live freely, could we not spens a little time to remember them with a pen? your fellow Turner, Amos

Touchwood
4th June 2011, 10:07 PM
How right you are Amos - what an overwhelming sight - sent a shiver up my spine. Have an enjoyable trip . Safe travels

JD

Penqueen
8th June 2011, 10:29 PM
Woodenink I intend to make pens for the troops overseas. I have two sons in the ADF and one nephew by marriage so I still have all bases covered. My eldest son is retired from Army medically unfit. I have two ADF storeman (Army and Navy) in my family so they may be able to help with getting pens to the right people too. One is based in Brisbane and the other is near Perth.:)

Marg.

PenTurner
9th June 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that Marg:2tsup:, at the present it is more a question of having more donations to be able to send to the troops, as the Chaplain in Afghanistan is very good at passing on the pens, however, it is always good to have those options and we have used them in the past also, thanks again, my regards to those who have served our country in your family and friends. I salute you. Amos:):2tsup:

Penqueen
9th June 2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that Marg:2tsup:, at the present it is more a question of having more donations to be able to send to the troops, as the Chaplain in Afghanistan is very good at passing on the pens, however, it is always good to have those options and we have used them in the past also, thanks again, my regards to those who have served our country in your family and friends. I salute you. Amos:):2tsup:

No worries Amos. :) I have some timber suitable to cut for pen blanks. I have not mentioned my thoughts re the distributation of pens to my son and nephew yet, I thought that I would run it by you first.

Also thank you very much for your setiments re my serving family. :D As you can imagine I am very very proud of them all.:2tsup::D

Marg.