PDA

View Full Version : EEE and wax polish on intricate things ?

Arron
1st June 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi. On the advice given here, the finishing system I've been using is Minwax followed by EEE and finally a furniture wax. This is working well on the flat parts of whatever I'm making, but I'm finding it difficult to apply to intricate bits, like inside corners. For example, I'm currently trying to finish the dividers of some very small drawers. There isnt much room to get my fingers in, and I'm certainly running out of patience with the process of polishing. The Minwax goes on OK, but the cutting back and polishing is difficult and time consuming and seems to make corners worse not better (perhaps due to the build up of unbuffed product in the unreachable parts).

Is there a way around this. How do you wop/wax users finish the very small stuff ?

cheers
Arron

RufflyRustic
1st June 2011, 12:53 PM
:doh: err, think we forgot to pass on a bit of useful info Arron, as a general rule, timber inside a project generally isn't EEE/waxed - if I've understood your question correctly.

For me, Box and chest interiors are finished with shellac but never waxed.
Chest of Drawers - same again.
Fiddly box bits like drawer dividers ( if inside drawers) are not waxed either.

Arron
1st June 2011, 05:11 PM
Actually, the inside of a drawer thing was just a "for instance". It was more a general question about fiddly bits generally. Say they are on the outside of something instead.

Really, this is just a general question to find out whether there are any tools or methods used for waxing/polishing fiddly things which I dont know about. I suspect theres not, but I just want to ask rather then assume.

cheers
Arron

joe greiner
1st June 2011, 09:12 PM
Depends on the degree of fiddlyness. If extremely intricate, I'd select a different finish such as sprayed varnish.

If less intricate, but awkward locations such as your example, I've polished and waxed before final assembly while the locations are accessible. As an added bonus, the wax usually guards against glue adhesion so it's easier to remove from the surface.

Cheers,
Joe

RufflyRustic
2nd June 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Arron, maybe this recent thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f9/polish-135634/)may help

cheers
Wendy