PDA

View Full Version : Freight Costs from the USA

wbleeker
3rd June 2011, 06:48 PM
Recently I ordered a Hitachi VFD from the Drives Warehouse, I was quoted over 150 USD freight with DHL, so I asked for USPS, knowing a 20 lb box is around 45USD, I was quoted, and paid 119.40 USD for the freight (I know I should have told them to shove it but I didn't) anyway it arrives today and the USPS tag on it says postage cost 57.70, so add 10 bucks for packaging it should have been 67.70 and I would have been a repeat customer?
This also happened with another order of 3500 USD recently where I was charged double freight and used the USPS 20lb Boxes, I am talking to them about it.
Just a bit of a warning to everyone.
Will

BobL
3rd June 2011, 08:01 PM
Recently I ordered a Hitachi VFD from the Drives Warehouse, I was quoted over 150 USD freight with DHL, so I asked for USPS, knowing a 20 lb box is around 45USD, I was quoted, and paid 119.40 USD for the freight (I know I should have told them to shove it but I didn't) anyway it arrives today and the USPS tag on it says postage cost 57.70, so add 10 bucks for packaging it should have been 67.70 and I would have been a repeat customer?
This also happened with another order of 3500 USD recently where I was charged double freight and used the USPS 20lb Boxes, I am talking to them about it.
Just a bit of a warning to everyone.
Will

That 57.70 looks like a rate for a USPS 20Lb LARGE flat rate box (USD$58.50) . The $45 is for a the Medium box. It depends on the dimensions.

Sterob
3rd June 2011, 08:19 PM
Tell them the situation and that you want a refund of the difference. I see no reason to pay more for something than you have to. I've done this in the past and have usually gotten the refund ok.
If you let it go, they may well do it to someone else.

Sterob

Bushmiller
3rd June 2011, 08:29 PM
My opinion on the state of the US economy is that it is in dire straits. No big revelation there as I think most of us know that. However, in their attempts to sell product by lowering prices, the temptation is there to load up the postage in an attempt to recoup the discounting.

We just have to be aware of it. Perhaps query the price when appropriate. I bought a second hand gouge chisel a while back from the states under a "make an offer" deal on ebay. I used the high postage to justify the offer I made. It was accepted.

However, I do struggle with excessive postage charges:((.

Regards
Paul

FenceFurniture
3rd June 2011, 10:23 PM
And there's always the option of sharing the freight.

wbleeker
4th June 2011, 04:33 PM
While I was still thinking about it I emailed drives warehouse and complained about the freight charges, the reply I got back said that the extra was for insurance?Which I didn't ask for and wasn't told I was getting.
I also emailed the other mob and as they have some more stuff to send they are going to refund the extra.
So it does pay to send a few emails
Will

Bushmiller
4th June 2011, 06:50 PM
While I was still thinking about it I emailed drives warehouse and complained about the freight charges, the reply I got back said that the extra was for insurance?Which I didn't ask for and wasn't told I was getting.
I also emailed the other mob and as they have some more stuff to send they are going to refund the extra.
So it does pay to send a few emails
Will

Will

Good outcome.

Regards
Paul

Greg Q
5th June 2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just going to order a pair of drives from them, but will shop elsewhere. No one likes to get gouged like that. By the way, those USPS boxes are supplied free by their post office. And they get bulk discounts on the postage too. Insurance would be less than $10.

Greg

Ch4iS
5th June 2011, 05:08 PM
I was quoted just over 100 USD for a single 1.5KW X200 VFD, ended up using a forwarder who was recomended on the cnczone forum, or someone told me about him (cant remember)

But using him I got the VFD and a couple of polo's from the US (Nice big sizes :D) and I paid the $45 rate from memory + $20 fee for repacking handling charges + paypal fees, works out better if your buying a few drives at once.

{EDIT}
Found his email
[email protected]

It was Greolt that mentioned him in the CNC Machines section, thats most likely why I saved the email.

wbleeker
5th June 2011, 07:59 PM
Greg
I don't have time right now have to close up the shop, i will post their reply on here for you to read.
Have a look on OZ Ebay and search VSD as well as VFD
Will

wbleeker
5th June 2011, 08:56 PM
We are sorry for the inconvenience, and they are still working on the website to make it better. When i quoted you the cost for shipping was $69.40 online for express mail.

Taking the item to the post office - $20

At $283.00 , full replacement insurance is 15% is $42.45

TOTAL - 131.85

We only charge $50 extra that came to the total of $119.40

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Ed

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 3:07 AM
To: Babu G'Vam
Subject: Enquiry from Drives Warehouse

Hi
I recently purchased a Hitachi VFD from you, I was quoted 119.40 for USPS postage which I paid, the VFD arrived today, the actual postage paid was 57.70 USD
I am not very happy that I had to pay that much extra! If you had allowed 10.00 for P&H I think that would be a bit fairer, when the web page I am looking at now says" Free Shipping" ( for Orders Received Online)
it dosen't say anything about where I live, perhaps it should say Free Shipping USA only and rest of world at the best rates we can do. This would help to ensure that customer know exactly what is going on and would help to ensure repeat business from satisfied customers!

Regards
Will Bleeker

Dave J
5th June 2011, 11:18 PM
That insurance sounds rich to me, and $20 to take it to the post office?. Do they want customers.

Dave

Greg Q
9th June 2011, 02:45 PM
From the USPS website information on International Priority insurance rates:

$0.01 to $100 $0.00
$100.01 to $200 $0.80
$200.01 to $500 $2.25
$500.01 to $1,000 $3.70

etc.

Drives Warehouse overcharged you big time on the entire shipping deal.:((

And $20 to get it to the post office with an $8/hour minimum wage? :((

Thanks again for the head's up. I am always happy to delete companies from the crowded list of shopping options. :ranting2:

Greg

barkersegg
9th June 2011, 04:04 PM
Just an added point on having goods freighted ex US to OZ......was in the US recently and purchased tools and stuff direct - when I went to the post offices to get some boxes and post them back to myself, was told by each one (assume they were the Managers...because they had more shiny buttons that the others...:U) USPS no longer send parcels sea freight - only airmail and it all goes via certain hubs for security screening....wasn't sure what the size limit was long as I kept them less than 20lb or their standard box sizes - you could send larger and heavier - but the cost rose exponentially up to a certain size then they didn't want to know you.....for anything larger or at a cheaper rate, when I enquired was always directed to various freight forwarders who were usually situated right next door to the post offices - in fact the Post Office downtown SOMA (business district) in San Francisco, shared a common glass sliding door with a freight forwarding company .......convenient eh?....it seemed to me at the time USPS didn't want to know you if your package was heavy or didn't fit their boxes.....

If you look at their web site, the charges are well documented and most good merchants will stick to that ......it certainly pays to ask the merchant what they'll sting you for freight before you buy all the same.....FWIW...................Lee

Big Shed
9th June 2011, 04:11 PM
Not really that different from Australia Post, they have a 20kg weight limit and a 1m size limit.

They don't however have the Flat Rate boxes like their US counterpart.

wbleeker
9th June 2011, 04:49 PM
I just got a PM from Davo, he sent them an email directing them to have a look at this thread, the reply should be interesting!
Will