PDA

View Full Version : Glue + Sawdust = Black Filler

sw337
6th June 2011, 05:19 PM
This topic has been done a few times, e.g. - here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f18/making-your-own-filler-sawdust-94342/), but looking for some more current advice.

Which glues can be used to mix with sawdust that don't darken significantly? I have tried both Titebond 2 and Araldite with poor results. The texture of the fill is good, but the discoloration obviously negates the purpose of the fill.

It is moisture that turns the mixture black right? I assume it is from the sawdust? Could you possibly bake or heat (don't laugh) the sawdust to remove moisture?

scottbr
6th June 2011, 05:39 PM
I've never used saw dust, but I've used sander dust with araldite on small holes and it's been fine. On larger holes I've used epoxy with dust.

1canetoad
6th June 2011, 06:42 PM
I have had ok results using wests and glue powder then only using enough wood dust to tint the paste

Ben

coffenup
6th June 2011, 10:20 PM
i have used sawdust and super glue to fill smaller holes in my turnings and also with some small joint gaps in joins. I usually fill the holes with dry material then put some super glue on it to make it solid
Regards Michael

son_of_bluegras
7th June 2011, 09:02 AM
If the spot to fill isn't too big, I've had success with hide glue and sanding dust or saw dust (get a different texture/look with different dusts).

ron