PDA

View Full Version : A Weekend with

Swino
6th June 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure whether this post is in the right place - moderators feel free to move it if required.

My local Woodturning Club was recently privileged to have spend a weekend with us running two 1 days workshops.

The first day was for beginners/intermediate and covered tuning a lathe, dressing a toolrest, basic spindle turning techniques focusing on the dreaded skew chisel and spindle gouge. The day culminated in each student completing a Dibbler. Every person has a great day and left with some new knowledge, techniques and skills.

The second day was for intermediate/ more advanced and covered the above spindle turning basics. It went on to cover how to turn 4 matching coffee table legs (without the need to turn 6 and pick the closest 4). Simple tricks and tips made what was previously a daunting task a lot easier. We all had a great day!!

A big thank you has to go to who put on a brilliant weekend!! We plan on making his appearances a regular occurrence whenever he is passing by.:2tsup:

Swino
6th June 2011, 07:12 PM
More photos

mkypenturner
6th June 2011, 07:34 PM
you lucky buggers i've seen at the prossy turnout and his words of wisdom and skills are amazing to have him spend 2 days there i'll say again you lucky buggers

munruben
6th June 2011, 08:01 PM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.:2tsup:

Grommett
6th June 2011, 08:16 PM
He is a class act. What a great couple of days you had. Pity seems to have run into a lawnmower, his dust extraction is compromised,

dai sensei
6th June 2011, 09:17 PM
Yep, great weekend had by all who attended :2tsup:

There was a call at the end of it, "can we do this again next year" :p You can never have enough tuition on the skew. Even the so called more advanced turners showed how to master the spiral cut :U:U:U

RETIRED
6th June 2011, 09:47 PM
It was my pleasure Gentlemen.

A fun weekend with good blokes and a great cook preparing lunch.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2011, 11:40 PM
Isn't it funny how no matter how far you go, group pictures of turners always show the same people?

Lessee in there I can see Ken Wraight, Grumpy John and Ern! Did they hitch a lift, ? :D

Tim the Timber Turner
7th June 2011, 02:32 PM
Jees , you'll go anywhere for a free feed.:roll:

Cheers

Tim:D

rsser
7th June 2011, 04:49 PM
+1. I've had lessons from 3 pro turners and found the best.

He gives you the principles, lets you have a shot and then corrects your technique if nec. He has a sharp eye. He also has a lot of patience.

gtwilkins
7th June 2011, 05:52 PM
Wow, what a dream clubhouse, everyone gets there own Vicmarc to turn on!

I only wish there was something like that here.

Trevor

Grumpy John
7th June 2011, 06:00 PM
Isn't it funny how no matter how far you go, group pictures of turners always show the same people?

Lessee in there I can see Ken Wraight, Grumpy John and Ern! Did they hitch a lift, ? :D

It must be my doppleganger Andy, I was busy cruising the Mediterranean when those photos were taken.

rsser
7th June 2011, 06:05 PM
Balding or gray hair; glasses; swelling paunch ...

We're becoming interchangeable ;-}

Pat
7th June 2011, 06:05 PM
He also has a lot of patience.

Especially with Boofhead turners, like myself!:;

RETIRED
7th June 2011, 07:44 PM
It must be my doppleganger Andy, I was busy cruising the Mediterranean when those photos were taken.When I first saw Eddy 172484 I nearly asked whether he was your twin.:D

RETIRED
7th June 2011, 07:46 PM
+1. He also has a lot of patience. And a good store of Valium.:wink::D

RETIRED
7th June 2011, 07:47 PM
Jees , you'll go anywhere for a free feed.:roll:

Cheers

Tim:DTerrible ain't it?:wink:

sjm
7th June 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm impressed by the dust extraction system and general club fitout. Looks great!

dai sensei
7th June 2011, 09:06 PM
I'm impressed by the dust extraction system and general club fitout. Looks great!

The DC is great, but it would be better if it was working :- Unfortunately the main motor was damaged during the latest extension, and we are still waiting for the replacement.

Grommett
7th June 2011, 10:13 PM
Balding or gray hair; glasses; swelling paunch ...

We're becoming interchangeable ;-}

Bearded:D