PDA

View Full Version : What bowl turning tools to buy

pwill
15th December 2004, 07:16 PM
I am pretty new to turning and have turned several bowls using the most basic of tools, bowl gouge and round nosed scraper. There is a lot of other tools available out there and I am trying to find out what I can buy to make the job easier as my level of confidence increases. Money is not the important thing, rather good advise on the right tools.

gatiep
15th December 2004, 07:19 PM
You can buy someones experienjce and knowledge by attending a course. If the instructor is worth his salt, it will beat all the tools you can buy anyday.

Good luck

:)

chunter
15th December 2004, 11:19 PM
Hi pwill

a course would certainly be worthwhile - Christmas pressie from the wife, maybe?

Hornsby also has a regional group of the Sydney Woodturners' Guild with 30+ members that meet monthly at Annangrove. A few of the members also contribute to this forum. Next meeting is the second saturday in Feb 05. It would be a good way of getting your questions answered.

cheers

Colin

smidsy
16th December 2004, 01:13 AM
I've been turning about 7 months now and my chisel collection comrpises the 6 piece generic carbatec (and others) chisel set, two home made bowl scrapers, a hamlet half inch skew chisel and a hamlet half inch bowl gouge.

The generic set is a good starting point because they are good enough to do some really nice work with but cheap enough to learn to sharpen on - the skill of sharpening chisels is as important as turning skills.
The bowl scrapers I made myself, one is a standard 10mm scraper and the other is an inch wide with the cutting edge running about 2 inches along the side of the chisel for side work. You buy the tool steel blanks from Carbatec, it's very easy to shape the edge and they work as good as a bought scraper.

If you want all out quality Hamlet is the way to go, british made, beautiful handles and a work of art, but you want to know how to sharpen before you get such nice chisels.

As others have said, a turning club is the way to go, aside from what you'll learn it's great to see what others are up to.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
16th December 2004, 07:53 AM
What would be my 'desert island' bowl turning tool? Henry Taylor 3/8" superflute gouge. The varying radius allows you to take fine or heavy cuts, the flute is well polished so your cutting edge is even and the steel is first class.

But as the others implied, it's less about the tool than how you sharpen and use it. Lessons and/or clubs are the way to go.

smidsy
16th December 2004, 10:34 PM
Hei Ern,
Just checking the website and those Henry Taylor chisels look nice.
Who sells em down here?
Cheers
Paul

rsser
17th December 2004, 06:42 AM
Hi Paul,

Carbatec Vic used to.

They're imported by
www.thewoodsmith.com.au
who used to sell them unhandled; check the website. Not cheap but worth every cent in my view.

Beware the sizing though - you know the makers use diff methods of determining the size. I was referring to what HT themselves labelled as 3/8". I also have their 1/4" which I don't find as versatile.

Hooroo

Little Festo
17th December 2004, 10:20 AM
Hello Pwill,

I use a Glaser half inch Ellsworth grind bowl gouge for 80%-90% of my bowl turning, plus a Henry Taylor "Raffern" bowl scraper. I do a fair bit of undercutting of the rims and sometimes use a Rolly Munroe hollowing tool or a Sorby RS200KT if required. Make quite a few hollow and closed forms too.

All the best and enjoy you bowl turning, it's great making the shaving fly.

Peter

Darrell Feltmate
3rd January 2005, 05:22 AM
I know I am odd man out here, but for 80% of my bowl turning I use a 1/4" Oland tool. It is easy to make and use. For the other 10% I use a 3/16" Oland and a 3/8" Oland. Okay the need is there for the 1/2" Oland but only for roughing. Once in a while I undercut a rim with a hollowing tool but this is really a variation on the Oland. For end grain bowls I like a hook tool.

Darrell
www.aroundthewoods.com (http://www.aroundthewoods.com)

rsser
7th January 2005, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Darrell.

Tell us what an Oland tool looks like. And how does it go with hardwoods?

Darrell Feltmate
10th January 2005, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the forum Darrell.

Tell us what an Oland tool looks like. And how does it go with hardwoods?
An Oland tool is an inserted tip tool with the tip ground to 45 degrees and rounded. A better description and details on making one are found at
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml

I use it on all kinds of wood, both hard and soft.