PDA

View Full Version : Distressed timber finish

Phillip Moore
15th December 2004, 09:15 PM
I would like information on how to create the old blackened look (in the dents and holes of distressed timber) when applying the stain & finish.
Does anybody know of a blackening agent that you can wipe on / wipe off between coats of stain.Any help greatly appreciated.

Robert WA
15th December 2004, 10:30 PM
I would like information on how to create the old blackened look (in the dents and holes of distressed timber) when applying the stain & finish.
Does anybody know of a blackening agent that you can wipe on / wipe off between coats of stain.Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing here.

What about boot polish?

No doubt there is a "correct" product, but at what price.

Chesand
16th December 2004, 06:19 AM
Phillip
At a finishing course I did a few years ago we experimented with dark stains. Apply to the marks with a small brush or cotton bud and then wipe off. This will leave the stain in the mark but not around it.
You can create the marks with almost anything - small hammers, meat mallet from kitchen,etc.
Hope that might help

conwood
23rd December 2004, 01:23 PM
Hi Phil,
Dark stain and boot polish will work. Bash the timber as you see fit, then apply the dark stuff all over as it's much quicker than just on the dents you have created. Den if you like, as I did, hit it with a belt sander until you are happy with the level of darkness/distressing.

Merry xmas from conwood

outback
23rd December 2004, 01:49 PM
All my timber looks distressed once I've finished with it. :D

DaveInOz
23rd December 2004, 01:53 PM
Put it in the kids play room and tell them not to touch it, for a darker distressed finish take all the bright textas out of the room first. ;)

ozwinner
23rd December 2004, 07:22 PM
I tell my timber "its over" and I never want to see it, ever again.

Never fails, all my timber is distressed

Al :eek:

soundman
23rd December 2004, 10:56 PM
a compatable black paint or laquer works for me.

I've a couple of firewood boxes that I slaped together from rough sawn pine. painted berger jet dry paving paint all over them then belt sanded as mentioned above, estipol sanding sealer then a go with the random orbit followed by estipol top coat.

distressed looks positively puturbed.

paint or lacquer will give a deeper black in the crevices than stain or boot polish if thats what you are looking for.
diferent colours over each other can give shadowing effects particularly if more distressing is done between coats.

cheers

woodcutta
1st January 2005, 08:13 AM
Phil

I have just finished a project with the same finish. I used boot polish rubbed in with steel wool and then a ROS to take it down to the level of "Blackness" I wanted left in the wood. It was then stained and finished with tung oil.
If you are in Singleton you are welcome to call in and see if its the finish you want.

Woodcutta

wolverine
17th January 2005, 01:11 PM
I've done a fair amount of this, and as strange as it may seem, I've had pretty good luck with a permanent marker as the last stage of finishing (in the dents and holes of course), followed by your clear finish.