PDA

View Full Version : platter and a lamp

turnerted
7th June 2011, 06:06 PM
G'day
At one of our club sales , about a 18 months ago , a builder came in and said he was building a verandah and had some 150mm merbau offcuts from the posts and could anyone use them so I put my hand up and came home to find three lengths from about 500 to 800mm long in my yard .
The first picture is of a lamp I made from one bit combined with a bit of privet . The design is about as simple as you could get but I like the contrast of the two timbers .
380mm high, to the bottom of the fitting, x120mm diam.
The second and third pictures are of the platter/shallow bowl that I took to the last Sydney GTG. This is cedar 340mm diam x70mm deep . I think the largest diameter I have turned .
Both turnings are finished with DO
Ted

artme
7th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Great turning and finishing there Ted!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I love the symetry of the grain in that Cedar !!:):)

Ad de Crom
7th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Ted, the red cedar shallow bowl is gorgeous.
The complete foot for the lamp is very nice, what is your experience with turning merbau. Were there some yellow particles in that wood, just like I saw these particles in the merbau in my wood store.
Ad :2tsup:

wheelinround
7th June 2011, 06:55 PM
ah so thats the lamp Ted interesting time to do some lead lighting for a shade.

I can say that platter is fantastic light as to handle well finished.

turnerted
8th June 2011, 05:52 PM
Ad
This is the only bit of merbau I've ever turned . I don't recall any yellow flecks .
Ray
I just picked some fresh cut camphor logs today and have started having a go at a lampshade . At the moment I have nearly shaped the outside and have it wrapped up in plastic sitting on the lathe . If it is a success I will post in due course .
Ted

wheelinround
9th June 2011, 10:28 AM
Ad
This is the only bit of merbau I've ever turned . I don't recall any yellow flecks .
Ray
I just picked some fresh cut camphor logs today and have started having a go at a lampshade . At the moment I have nearly shaped the outside and have it wrapped up in plastic sitting on the lathe . If it is a success I will post in due course .
Ted

Your shed must smell like heaven Ted quick cure for the flu Camphor shavings :U look forward to seeing the results :2tsup: even better than a leadlight one.