PDA

View Full Version : Shop built jumbo MFT

monoman
16th December 2004, 01:35 AM
Hi,

I was considering buying an MFT, but it seemed too small. So I built my own.

2400x1200 25mm MDF, with a 2400x1200 9mm sacrificial MDF top. I added a hardwood edge to 2 sides which sits 6 mm above the work surface that serves as a fence for sheetgoods. I attached pair of stops which the guide rails locate against for easily repeatable dead square cuts (crosscut and rip).

There's a link at www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_mft1.htm which has an article on setting a an MFT for perfect accurate square cuts. Well worth checking out.

Also, unlike the MFT, I can position the guide rails anywhere along (or across) my table.

If I need to cut 4 pieces at 590mm each, I position the sheet for the first cut, set a stop against the fence 590mm from the cutting line. After that, it's a simple matter of cut, slide, cut, slide, etc. Totally repeatable.

I might spring for festools angle stop and the hinge later.

Cheers

Guy
17th December 2004, 12:03 AM
My bench in my garage is a drop down type and is 3000 x 900(2 sheet of yellow tounge board), after seeing the Festool table i decided to drill 19mm hloes on a 100mm grid approx for half the table. It was the modt useful thing i did. I made up blocks that i can drop into the holes to stop bits moving arround whilst planing routing or cutting. Also bought some Jogenson clamps fron Cabratec($20 pair) to clamp peices as well.
Guy

warmtone
20th December 2004, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I was considering buying an MFT, but it seemed too small. So I built my own.

2400x1200 25mm MDF, with a 2400x1200 9mm sacrificial MDF top. I added a hardwood edge to 2 sides which sits 6 mm above the work surface that serves as a fence for sheetgoods. I attached pair of stops which the guide rails locate against for easily repeatable dead square cuts (crosscut and rip).

There's a link at www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_mft1.htm (http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_mft1.htm) which has an article on setting a an MFT for perfect accurate square cuts. Well worth checking out.

Also, unlike the MFT, I can position the guide rails anywhere along (or across) my table.

If I need to cut 4 pieces at 590mm each, I position the sheet for the first cut, set a stop against the fence 590mm from the cutting line. After that, it's a simple matter of cut, slide, cut, slide, etc. Totally repeatable.

I might spring for festools angle stop and the hinge later.

Cheers
Monoman - I purchased the 800mm versionof the MFT and found it to be excellent when used in conjunction with the (expensive) G clamps and those wonderful flat quick release clamps that secure in the round holes. I rate it 9/10 - overall.

Full marks for building your own but how did you get hold of the extruded alumium guide rails for your table sides to take the various clamps and accesories?

monoman
20th December 2004, 04:41 PM
Full marks for building your own but how did you get hold of the extruded alumium guide rails for your table sides to take the various clamps and accesories?

I didn't use them. I've mounted hardwood rails around the perimited of the table with stop blocks fitted for the guide rails to sit against, and also act as the fence to align the panel against. I have to remove the rail for each cut, but because it locates at each end, I don't need to clamp it down.

Also, I've found that working from the left end of the table is more natural, given that the waste side of the cut is to the right of the guide. My rail stop blocks are mounted 600 in from the lefthand edge.

Also, this table is basically used to accurately dimension full-size sheets.

Cheers

If Santa brings me a digi camera, I'll post some pics.

PEN
11th January 2005, 10:13 PM
Hi,
Interested in the discussion on the subject of purchasing a Festool MFT1080.

I have two Shopsmith machines and am looking for a fold down table saw bench. Limited space available in the double garage with the Shopsmiths the restored MGB and the Volvo S40T. Must be able to fold it down for storage which makes the MFT ideal.

Tried Triton but not satisfied. I have a Festool ATF 55 EB saw and FS 800 and FS 1400 Guides. They I pressume will operate on the MFT.

The referenced article I read through suggested it is best used as cross cut setup as the standard package comes with only the 820mm Guide.

But having the FS1400 I hope would allow me to set it up as a rip operation as the label length is 1165mm. Would it be feasable to buy the extra two side mounting brackets and set it up to both cross cut and rip. Obviously board would have to be cut down to the extremities of the table size1165 x 725mm before any precise trimming.

Would that work and is it feasable?

I noted the comments of the saw cutting deeper into the table because of the larger travel, but surely some underpacking of the board to be cut would solve that problem. Yes or No.?

Festo Saw is great and seems a waste if I dont utilise it to a greater advantage than I do now.

All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

PEN :) :)