PDA

View Full Version : MDF to MDF?

hawkinob
11th June 2011, 10:23 PM
Hi,
I'm having trouble, using Selleys PVA - Interior - gluing MDF flat to MDF. I don't want to 'rough-up' the faces (which I assume I really need to do).
Any advice please?
Thanks,
Bob H.

Claw Hama
11th June 2011, 10:29 PM
Should work ok, put enough on one side to wet both when you put them together, clamp, nail or screw together and give it an hour or so. Should be holding by then but will not be at full strength for 24 hours or so. Shouldn't have to rough it up.

chrisb691
11th June 2011, 10:31 PM
Bostick have a mdf glue, which is very good at bonding mdf. Bunnies used to have it, but don't appear to stock in anymore. Worth while hunting for.

Claw Hama
11th June 2011, 10:39 PM
I think that is the one that Mr Ply and Wood carry too.

soundman
12th June 2011, 05:01 PM
The fact remains that the surface if MDF is consolidated with a wax like substance..I've never had a problem gluing MDF face to face...... BUT I usually sand everyting prior to assembly.

Ya dont have to rough it up as such but a light surface sand may make a difference.

check too that you have shaken your PVA and that it is niether getting stale nor been subject to near freezing temperatures.

if you realy want strength and perhaps a but faster setting time step up from the white PVAs and into the yellow PVA alaphalactic resin glues like AV syntec AV180, triton yellow glue or similar.

cheers

hawkinob
12th June 2011, 05:55 PM
Hi,
Thank you all for the suggestions/advice, you've been a great help (once again).
Regards,
Bob H.