PDA

View Full Version : sheds to good to go in comp

danmade
12th June 2011, 07:49 PM
hi everyone,
sounding like a sore looser here but i think the shed comp on the wood review, wasn't well judged what do you guys think?

Jim Carroll
12th June 2011, 08:10 PM
Would tend to agree.

Would be interesting to see what the judging was based on.

A Duke
12th June 2011, 08:53 PM
Hi,
I believe it was by reader vote. If you read some of the other threads on the comp, in this forum you will see what some of the readers based their vote on.
Regards

Harry72
12th June 2011, 08:53 PM
I think the winner was deserving as she is a good ambassador for our woodworking hobby.

danmade
12th June 2011, 09:12 PM
but i think it was on how good your shed is , not on the person i think.

mic-d
12th June 2011, 09:22 PM
:worthless:
show us yours and we'll tell you if you was robbed or not.:):wink:
I thought the winner was very deserving and since it was by reader votes, there must have been many happy students who voted that way.

danmade
12th June 2011, 10:14 PM
no dramas , but is it about your shed

mic-d
12th June 2011, 10:20 PM
no dramas , but is it about your shed

but is what about who's shed:?

danmade
12th June 2011, 10:31 PM
sorry mate me no good english!!!! the winners shed

BobL
12th June 2011, 10:42 PM
I don't really care who won - 'twas all a bit of a hoot.

mic-d
12th June 2011, 10:46 PM
To me it is a neat, clean but unremarkable shed :shrug: Two other things of note: you have room for a panel saw, and you own a panel saw, I wouldn't be too worried about not winning. :shrug: :)

danmade
12th June 2011, 10:47 PM
some guys there have really good set ups in the mag and online, dont get me wrong im happy for that person too but i think there was way better sheds out there is all.

MajorPanic
12th June 2011, 10:49 PM
It was a bit of a giggle, but was a bit surprised to have my pic for the cover shot :oo: :oo: :oo:

Waldo
12th June 2011, 10:52 PM
I'd like to see it as an annual thing. :2tsup:

Glider
12th June 2011, 10:59 PM
sounding like a sore looser here but i think the shed comp on the wood review, wasn't well judged what do you guys think?

IMO it might be a better look if someone who didn't enter made this comment.

Mick :)

RufflyRustic
13th June 2011, 10:49 AM
you've got a great shed - looks like a good setup. But where's the character that makes it Yours??

My shed is a complete mess atm and has been since the floor got cleaned earlier in the year but it is all mine and I love it. There's nothing better than being able to walk out, close the door and the next shed day, open it up and take up from where I left off. The reason I didn't enter the comp was because I didn't want a panel saw, I don't have room for it and it doesn't fit into my style of woodwork for the time being.

Maybe there are better sheds out there, in fact, I know there are :) I wouldn't mind it being an annual thing too, even if there was no prize, just a show us your shed thing.

Claw Hama
13th June 2011, 10:59 AM
Mine didn't make it in, I was very sad:(:U and mine is a shed that when people come in say "do you mind if I take a photo" as Miss Ruffly said you need to build up some character. Shouldn't look like an operating theatre unless you're a surgeon.
I think the prize will be put to very good use teaching other people woodwork. Pat has done it very hard over the years I think and could do with a little luck I'm sure:2tsup:

danmade
13th June 2011, 11:11 AM
hi all,
i am happy for her to win good luck to her hope she loves it, i just looked at the entries and could not work out why other sheds that had more character and way better set up did not win, i did not mean to offend anyone if i have im sorry, when you have a small set up
it has to be clean other wise it can be dangerous believe me i have seen people
loose fingers and it aint pretty. thats why it is neat plus i cant think if not clean and tidy ..ha

Claw Hama
13th June 2011, 11:23 AM
Its all good DM, I for one would kill for your flat floor alone.
Maybe it was the soul or heart of Pats shed, so many have learnt the joy of woodwork in there or maybe the industry was just doing a good deed.

mic-d
13th June 2011, 11:26 AM
hi all,
i am happy for her to win good luck to her hope she loves it, i just looked at the entries and could not work out why other sheds that had more character and way better set up did not win, i did not mean to offend anyone if i have im sorry, when you have a small set up
it has to be clean other wise it can be dangerous believe me i have seen people
loose fingers and it aint pretty. thats why it is neat plus i cant think if not clean and tidy ..ha

What CH said.:)

BTW, how do you keep it so clean without any (visible) dust extraction? Do you have a mobile unit?

A Duke
13th June 2011, 12:35 PM
Hi again,
I think it was all supposed to be a bit of fun,they asked for votes for the shed you liked, without giving any pointers to judge on and asked for the shed dweller to be in one of the pictures. If it was to be serious they would have wanted them anonymous and would have had anonymous expert judges.
Although I am a subscriber (paid up for 4 years due to having a senior's moment and renewing twice) I did not enter and I did not vote but I enjoyed the whole thing especially seeing how many I could identify from posts here.
Regards

Lignum
13th June 2011, 01:06 PM
I agree with Dan. Bobs should have easily won followed by Major. I think it was a token win giving the small school a decent table saw. Great comp though and some fantastic sheds.

One thing I hated was the layout. Way to many images were cropped and the translucent text took away the main purpose of the comp, the shed images. Also the text was to hard to read.

[edit- Dan, it was the first time i seen the online entries and didnt realise yours was in the comp. It should have at leas made the hard copy, and the eventual winners shed was probably in the bottom of the pile with so many great sheds. ]

sjm
13th June 2011, 02:02 PM
Given that the entry requirements specified the person who's shed it was had to appear in the photo (or a mate), and more than 50% of the entries did not even feature a person, it was extremely poor. More than half the entries did not even comply with the terms and conditions, and therefore should have been discarded even before judging commenced!

BobR
13th June 2011, 02:44 PM
Me thinks some people have taken this competition a bit too seriously. Given that the entries were not judged on any criteria in particular, but voted on by readers, then it should be viewed as a bit of fun. I enjoyed just having a look at some other sheds. Sure hope that this does not put AWR off from doing something similar in the future.

I never entered.

Christos
13th June 2011, 07:03 PM
I think this shed competition was a great idea and a lot of fun. We the public were asked to vote. That's the beauty of voting you get one.

BobL
13th June 2011, 08:21 PM
I only entered because I heard they were light on for entries. I didn't take a special photo for the comp, I just grabbed a photo I had taken in the past and posted it on the website. The photo that was published was cropped about 30%.

danmade
13th June 2011, 08:37 PM
I agree with Dan. Bobs should have easily won followed by Major. I think it was a token win giving the small school a decent table saw. Great comp though and some fantastic sheds.

One thing I hated was the layout. Way to many images were cropped and the translucent text took away the main purpose of the comp, the shed images. Also the text was to hard to read.

[edit- Dan, it was the first time i seen the online entries and didnt realise yours was in the comp. It should have at leas made the hard copy, and the eventual winners shed was probably in the bottom of the pile with so many great sheds. ]
yeah took the pics on my missus iphone
thanks mate, people are saying my workshop lacks character but when are doing a few jobs at a time in a small place you need to be neat and tidy other wise you wont be efficient. i have worked in alot of furniture and commercial joinery shops and one thing that s**ts me is untidy workshops

RufflyRustic
13th June 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi Dan, I think I better clarify my 'character' comment.

There is nothing wrong with a neat, tidy and safe shed. Nothing at all. Safety in the shed is essential. I totally agree.

Perhaps what I should have said is that there is very little in the photos that says anything about you. From my small experience of sheds, they are generally speaking, places filled with all sorts of treasures and maybe a bit of trash. Nearly everything you pick up could have an interesting story about it. For example, in my shed I have two RufflyRustic signs, a few unfinished projects, piles of timber, bits, bobs and pieces everywhere. People walk in and go WOW, you really are serious about your woodwork. It takes them a while to turn around looking at everything. Then they ask who is the name on the workbench, and so I tell that story of how the bench came about, travelled halfway across the world and such before it came to live with me. So that's an example of a shed that I think has character, a shed that has evolved, has a few quirks and perks.

The pics of your shed look like it's brand spanking new. There's a big difference between the two. and that's what I meant when I made my 'character' comment. ETA - it's not that your shed is bad, or that I think less of it. I don't, I admire people like you who can keep a shed looking like that, it takes organisation, dedication and work. I like my shed and you like yours. It's all good in the world of sheds.

and here's couple of shots of my shed to show you what I'm talking about.:)

cheers
Wendy

springwater
13th June 2011, 09:22 PM
:oo: Curtains...other than that, if I ever got lost and found myself in your shed I'd think I was in mine, well nearly, I would've thought I'd been blessed by the wood fairy :)

RufflyRustic
13th June 2011, 09:30 PM
:D Security Window Covers, actually. :D

danmade
13th June 2011, 09:37 PM
holy moly, wow nice to see some pics love to see what you make...
yeah i do take it seriously becuase its my living my workshop is about 3years old still adding to it , its ongoing errr yep ongoing

springwater
13th June 2011, 09:45 PM

They're electrified :oo:

RETIRED
13th June 2011, 09:55 PM
They're electrified :oo:No, ecSTATIC!

springwater
13th June 2011, 10:49 PM
No, ecSTATIC!

Ah so dust frilltration too :-
173081:whatonearth:

Claw Hama
14th June 2011, 12:21 AM
I must admit I did get a photographer to take the shots of my shed.
My 11 yr old nephew took them whilst hanging off the wall outside the door:D

Oh and ditto to what Ruffly Sister said about your shed Dan:U

Christos
14th June 2011, 09:38 AM

I can relate to that, you do not want persons looking into your home so why would the shed be any different. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
14th June 2011, 10:21 AM
Ah so dust frilltration too :-
173081:whatonearth:

:cool: HWMNBO was supposed to fit a small air con in there for me. 3 years later (or is it four now:?) and I'm still waiting:rolleyes:

:yes: Sheds are always a work in progress. I remember someone :- expounding about how once set up, she wouldn't be changing the layout, yet now I am contemplating ripping out the bench and shadow board and replacing with a floor to ceiling expanse of (hopefully) dustproof cupboards to better store all those bits and pieces that seem to end up on the bench top instead of put away from all the saw dust.

danmade
14th June 2011, 08:50 PM
here's what i make in my boring shed lol

Glider
14th June 2011, 11:13 PM
Beautiful work Dan! :2tsup::2tsup:

Mick :)

RufflyRustic
15th June 2011, 10:09 AM
Very neat, very useable and I bet, very much appreciated :):2tsup:

danmade
15th June 2011, 08:37 PM
thanks mate

Sir Stinkalot
15th June 2011, 09:00 PM
i think the shed comp on the wood review, wasn't well judged what do you guys think?

I quite liked the competition and would like to see something on a regular basis. It is always good to have a look at how others set up their spaces and there is always something worth pinching. The only issue I have with The Australian Woodreview (and perhaps one reason I like it) is that I see it as being the next step up from where I am so I would feel a little intimidated submitting my shed. Perhaps others did also which is why it had a slow start.

The judging was difficult as there were no set judging criteria ..... but perhaps that was part of the appeal. My vote went to the shed that I though would make best use of the prize ...... not necessarily the shed I would most like, or had the most character but the shed I thought would benefit the most. Obviously other people voted based on different criteria which is fine.

The only difficult part was the very generous prize on offer. There were many sheds with well equipped table saws which may have put off voters. Perhaps just a random draw for all entries may have been the go with a Carbatec gift voucher, but that being said it was good being involved in the process.

I recall late last year Jet ran a similar competition. From memory one of the emails I got said that you should take a photo of you shed with all of your Jet gear ..... seemed to me the winner was going to be the person with the most Jet gear!

Sawdust Maker
16th June 2011, 09:55 PM
I reckon there should be a comp for needy sheds or sheds that need help :D

RufflyRustic
17th June 2011, 08:49 AM
wait for it, someone will post either the puddle in the gutter or the shoebox next :;:D:D:D