PDA

View Full Version : cost of concrete for barn

belinda611
13th June 2011, 07:51 AM
hi guys i need some advice.....recently purchased a 12 x 8 barn and am wondering if anyone can tell me the cost of concrete to put floor down? as shed has gone way over budget already im stressing about the cost of the concrete......there are 17.3 cubic metres of concrete in the job that is including the footings.......i live on the south coast of new south wales and any advice on price of concrete etc would be greatly appreciated.......

Chesand
13th June 2011, 09:23 AM
You should be able to get an idea by 'googling' pre-mixed concrete suppliers in your area. Many have on-line calculators which give the prices.
Recently did this for a slab I helped my son with in Ballarat

whitewood
13th June 2011, 09:35 AM
belinda611. It depends what you are going to use the 'barn' for. There was a lifestyle program the other night that laid 'cheap' car driveway. It was road base then something like cracker dust mixed with cement spread over the surface and watered down. You would need cement for the footings of the posts. If this type of surface would meets your needs I'm sure a little research would find the program and further details

Whitewood

Lawriet
13th June 2011, 10:18 AM
Have a look at

How much is the typical price of a concrete house slab in Australia? - Yahoo!7 Answers (http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090402013337AAObc0z)

A cheap concrete floor is worthless and you will eventually need to jackhammer it up and replace it - you need it flat and you need a good concreter to get it right - you only have one opportunity.

If your not experienced - don't start on something as important as a shed floor as you need levelling screeds, helicopters, bull screeds, boxong, reo etc

Chesand
13th June 2011, 10:33 AM
belinda611. There was a lifestyle program the other night that laid 'cheap' car driveway. It was road base then something like cracker dust mixed with cement spread over the surface and watered down. You would need cement for the footings of the posts. If this type of surface would meets your needs I'm sure a little research would find the program and further details

Whitewood
Better Homes & Gardens last Friday night I think

wun4us
13th June 2011, 11:01 AM
hi guys i need some advice.....recently purchased a 12 x 8 barn and am wondering if anyone can tell me the cost of concrete to put floor down? as shed has gone way over budget already im stressing about the cost of the concrete......there are 17.3 cubic metres of concrete in the job that is including the footings.......i live on the south coast of new south wales and any advice on price of concrete etc would be greatly appreciated.......

The footings must be enormous to come up to 17.3 m3 of concrete. The slab itself would only take 9.6 m3 plus allowance of up to 10% for irregularities.

If the shed is a steel shed, then it would be unlikely to have a thickened edge all around, only a footing where each column is.

Maybe it needs another look at for measurements?

Also, have you allowed for the mesh and bar chairs for the concrete?

Readymix concrete to 20 mpa would cost in the vicinity of $180 m3 depending on where you are and the access.:?

Tony Rooster
13th June 2011, 12:27 PM
I built a barn 4 years ago,
12m *8m with 2off 6m * 3m wings,
slab is engineered reinforced 150mm thick with thickened edge beams and two cross beams,
piering is up to 12m deep along one edge (the 14m side) with the back only 8m deep.
The origianl earth is cut and filled, hence engineering requirements, this is critical to get right.
cost was approx $35k - yes just the slab, but it should not go anywhere.

I also built a cantilever slab as an outdoor entertaining area, 12m * 11m fully reinforced and engineered 150mm thick, piered etc with my tanks underneath (75 000 litres in concrete) this cost about the same (just for the slab tanks , cranes etc extra, )

Do not hesitate in investing in the ground level support for your future. Get it right and its fine, stuff it up and it costs mega bucks and many nightmares.
Cheers.

wun4us
13th June 2011, 07:57 PM
I built a barn 4 years ago,
12m *8m with 2off 6m * 3m wings,
slab is engineered reinforced 150mm thick with thickened edge beams and two cross beams,
piering is up to 12m deep along one edge (the 14m side) with the back only 8m deep.
The origianl earth is cut and filled, hence engineering requirements, this is critical to get right.
cost was approx $35k - yes just the slab, but it should not go anywhere.

I also built a cantilever slab as an outdoor entertaining area, 12m * 11m fully reinforced and engineered 150mm thick, piered etc with my tanks underneath (75 000 litres in concrete) this cost about the same (just for the slab tanks , cranes etc extra, )

Do not hesitate in investing in the ground level support for your future. Get it right and its fine, stuff it up and it costs mega bucks and many nightmares.
Cheers.

Would your barn perchance have been in a mines subsidence area? :?

Tony Rooster
14th June 2011, 12:21 AM
Hi wun4us,
you would think so, but no,
I am known for over engineering everything,
comes from a long history , no space here for that,
foundations are important is all,
and if you have ever layed concrete or been on the wrong end of a jack hammer to remove concrete then you only ever put it in place once and you do it right the first time.
cheers
---Wife says -what you writin hon' ?? 'bout concrete sweetie, ooooohhh you like concrete, almost as much as your wood.
I think that's enough said.............

banjoping
14th June 2011, 05:52 PM
Without knowing particularly your soil types (reactive or otherwise), you should be able to get supply and laid slab :

-100mm 20mpa slab with 300mm inbuilt footings for all posts
- concrete to include F62 mesh, bar chairs, 200um plastic

for about $50 to $55 per metre squared for a professional concreter. Incude the GST if not paying cash.

This is indicative pricing only but should be a roughy.

wun4us
15th June 2011, 12:03 AM
Hi wun4us,
you would think so, but no,
I am known for over engineering everything,
comes from a long history , no space here for that,
foundations are important is all,
and if you have ever layed concrete or been on the wrong end of a jack hammer to remove concrete then you only ever put it in place once and you do it right the first time.
cheers
---Wife says -what you writin hon' ?? 'bout concrete sweetie, ooooohhh you like concrete, almost as much as your wood.
I think that's enough said.............

Yep, poured many slabs when I was much younger; concrete pumps were not used much then either, mostly only for big projects as mostly just line type of delivery. Over engineering is great, but very unnecessary when slab is properly engineered.

Costwise, banjoping is pretty much right on the nail:2tsup::2tsup:

Vernonv
15th June 2011, 01:18 PM
for about $50 to $55 per metre squared for a professional concreter.That's pretty cheap. The last one I used was about $70 a sqm (and that seemed to be the going rate).

Shedblog Au
15th June 2011, 05:41 PM
As a guide , On the Mid North Coast the pricing for shed slabs is running from $70 m2 on average.

wun4us
15th June 2011, 11:00 PM
As a guide , On the Mid North Coast the pricing for shed slabs is running from $70 m2 on average.

I daresay that in areas of high demand the cost may get greater. I recently had a relatively small area done for me ( I can't handle it anymore) size 3.6m x 5.1m near enough, and 100mm thick; thus roughly 2m3 concrete 25mpa; with mesh and including dig out and it cost me $650. That is around 100% mark up on cost, which is (or was) fair. And no it wasn't mates rates either. That works out to a lot less than $50 a square surface metre! But it was a straightforward job, so no hassle, less cash.

Going rate around here from a couple of jobs done fo friends, is still around the $50-60 mark, depending on any difficulties.:?