PDA

View Full Version : Mouldy smells.

Tony Rooster
13th June 2011, 11:57 AM
Fellow Woodies,
re insulation - I have built a large barn the upper level is the MIL's granny flat - fully insulated and lined etc (totally seperate from my area), my woodies area is downstairs unlined or insulated but ventilated naturally, with lots of storage shelving etc, I have noticed some dampness in kit stored and some lovely mould smells in some of the stored stuff (that may have come with MIL's crap)

How important is the lining and insulation of the work area??

Cheers.

Moe in QLD
13th June 2011, 08:37 PM
Without lining and insulating the workshop you'll always get moisture in the odd spots
You can sort this (if you're diligent) cheaply with chalk
Just put a box of chalk in the spots that are troublesome.
Dry them in the sun regularly.

If the floor isn't sealed you can have all sorts of problems with moisture.
What's the floor like in the downstairs area?

wheelinround
13th June 2011, 09:17 PM
Tony this smell can becoming from the wood you have stored it forms spalting. This can be of benefit it gives nice pattern to wood (http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1680&bih=845&q=spalted+wood&gbv=2&oq=spalted+wood&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1698l5264l0l12l12l0l1l1l0l449l2110l1.1.2.3.1). This weather is no help or your location. There is health hazards serious ones a mask MUST be worn when working with this type of wood.

Open the shed often and air it as much as possible sunlight helps kill the spores.

kerryblue
13th June 2011, 09:35 PM
Have you checked that your MIL is still alive.? :doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th June 2011, 12:55 AM
If you can smell mould and/or mildew then there is someone, somewhere, who will become crook if they spend any time in your shed. (My other half, for one. :sigh: )

If the levels of spores build up high enough, that someone could be you.

That's a worst-case scenario, of course. :;

If you're storing green - or only partially dried - timbers downstairs, then you will always have a degree of ambient moisture. Wheelin's suggestion of lotsa fresh air and sunlight is the best solution, as it keeps things in check.

Lining and insulation will make the work area more comfortable, of course, and is a good idea if only for that reason... but I wouldn't rely on it as a barrier to "fix the smell problem."

Tony Rooster
15th June 2011, 10:50 PM
Have you checked that your MIL is still alive.? :doh:
Kerrieblue,
I know the MIL is still kicking as the port bottle has a serious leak that only occurs of an evening!

wun4us
16th June 2011, 04:45 PM
Possibly a less than best quality tawny? maybe even 4penny dark!!:oo::oo::2tsup:

Tony Rooster
18th June 2011, 10:02 PM
OK Team,
the deal is this, the mouldy smell has come with the MIL's quality crap that I currently have no choice but to store.
I have started to rearrange the cartons to improve ventilation and remove the damaged articles and packaging, no help from MIL as i am not permitted to reduce quantity.
I have quality steel shelving (like dexion) which is arranged in aisles, for storage.

My timber is currently stored on the ground in stacks and takes up way too much floor space, It is all dry,
I have made enquiries re suitavble shelving for my timber - I thought that some dexion would be suitable but have been told otherwise.
Ventilation is fair in the shed but not exceptional, now since i've spent a lot of time looking at many posts re storage and sheds setup, i have not seen anything really special or specific , you know the do's or don'ts of storage and stacking timber.
My experience is the basics:-
temperature - no extremes,
air - ventilate adequately,
liquids - prevent access of liquid to your goodies
access- if you can't get at it don't keep it. (i'm still learning this)
MOST Important - If its not yours don't store it!
Or else you'll end up with everyone elses stuff and they will not come and get it.