PDA

View Full Version : First posting

Bruce White
15th June 2011, 07:19 PM
Given that I browse the forum regularly, I thought it was about time I made a contribution. I have been learning, on my Teknatoo 3000, to turn by the trial and error method and think, that after about a year making every error under the sun, that I am just starting to get the hang of it. I think some of the basics are starting to sink in such as keeping the tools sharp (and sharpen the damn things again!), sand the turned article properly through the grades and up to at least 1000 ( just worked that one out), and less is more when applying the polish. On that subject, all my pieces have been polished with bee/carnauba wax. I am really pleased with the finish it gives when the article is sanded properly - see the small sassafras and myrtle bowls I finished today. What would you suggest to give a better finish?

Lessons learnt : This woodturning lark is seriously addictive!
You can never have enough wood or varieties of wood.
End grain turning is NOT FUN!
There is not enough space in my workshop.
There is not enough space in the house for my works of art.
You make a lot more shavings and dust by volume that ever was in
the blank you started with (Tardis wood)
I love Tasmanian timber
You can spend a fortune doing this!

Forgive the quality of photos, we are having the first decent rain we have had in damn near a year so had to take the shots inside the workshop.

Offerings are:
Silky oak platter
Jarrah bowl
Jarrah platter
Sheoak bowl
Sassafras (left) & 2 leatherwood bowls
Myrtle and sasafras bowls
Jarrah bowl
WA peppermint (agonis) goblet and box
Sheoak fish donger
And I dont have enough shelf space

It has been a learning curve. I turned the Sassafras bowl shown with the leatherwood and the myrtle bowl today.

wherrol
15th June 2011, 08:07 PM
What lovely work, how inspring.

smiife
15th June 2011, 08:32 PM
hi bruce,
they all look very good mate,don't think there is anything wrong
with the finish either,great work you should be very pleased with them all
love the donger:2tsup:

mkypenturner
15th June 2011, 08:35 PM
despite your perils you have been having they look great :2tsup::2tsup: decide what you want to do with those items eg give to friends or keep but try and keep a piece or 2 label it with the date and then in the future you can look back at that and see just how much you have achieved :!
and keep it up

stuffy
15th June 2011, 08:47 PM
Hi Bruce,

Nice work, you've got to be pleased with the finish on those! :2tsup:

Welcome to the forum.

Steve
:)

Scott
15th June 2011, 09:47 PM
Very nice work there. Have been sanding my stuff to 400 and thought that was good. Think you've convinced me to go to 1000.

-Scott.

TTIT
15th June 2011, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Bruce :U Going by the sheen in the photo's I'd say you've got the finishing process all sewn up - can't see any tearout or a toolmark anywhere :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Rarely seen in someone so new to the obsession .
A bit of work on your form might help - removing a bit more wood to produce some flowing curves will get away from the 'hubcap' look.:B

.....Lessons learnt :
This woodturning lark is seriously addictive!
You can never have enough wood or varieties of wood.
End grain turning is NOT FUN!
There is not enough space in my workshop.
There is not enough space in the house for my works of art.
You make a lot more shavings and dust by volume that ever was in
the blank you started with (Tardis wood)
I love Tasmanian timber
You can spend a fortune doing this!......Responses...
Yes!
Around 400 species now and still scrounging for more :B
Don't kid yourself - You're actually turning end-grain most of the time anyway. With the right tools and technique, it can be the easiest turning you'll do.:2tsup:
If I had the Taj-mahal I'd still want more room.
Send them to the Taj-mahal.
Find Guinea-pig keepers - they love the stuff for bedding.:;
Yuk - all too soft = tearout. Much prefer dense desert timbers.:2tsup:
I have :B

vtbao
15th June 2011, 10:47 PM
Great work!
Is there anymore?

danny.s
15th June 2011, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Bruce.

Danny

hughie
15th June 2011, 11:11 PM
[Find Guinea-pig keepers - they love the stuff for bedding.:;

Also anybody who keeps a few chooks. :2tsup: Oh! welcome a board :U

Bruce White
16th June 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your kind comments Folks. I definitley struggled early with tear-out and tool marks. Could not master the gouge - did everything with skew and scraper early. Finally decided I had to master the lot so persevered with the gouge and now have an uneasy truce with them. If they don't dig in, I don't toss them across the workshop! I suspect my improving sharpening skills also help. I reverted to freehand sharpening - might be changing the shape of the grinds slowly but it is working nicely for now. I take the opportunity to acquire tools wherever I can, garage sales etc as I don't think you can have enough. I sharpen them all and just swap as they dull and then do it all over again.

And 400 species Tree Terrorist! I am but a beginner who aspires to your level of stock. I thought I was doing well with about 15 species on the shelf waiting to be turned. On that subject, can't wait to come across some comphor laurel and Norfolk pine. Some of the pieces on the website are stunning. Love highly figured and coloured wood. Also, what is the botanical name of the Redgum you have in the east? Different to what we refer to as redgum here in the west.

Sawdust Maker
16th June 2011, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum

some nice work there

Have a look at TTIT's eggs for a small sample of available woods

TTIT
16th June 2011, 10:28 PM
..... Also, what is the botanical name of the Redgum you have in the east? Different to what we refer to as redgum here in the west.This side of the desert it's usually eucalyptus camaldulenesis but there a few others that also get called Red Gum - common names are a bitch sometimes but they also add flavour and mystique :;

RETIRED
17th June 2011, 12:00 AM
common names are a bitch sometimes but they also add flavour and mystique :;Yep, Wanda does it for me.:D

bellyup
17th June 2011, 10:39 AM
G'day Bruce,
They are looking good, I specially like the last Jarrah bowl.
Your start to turning sounds just like mine - I used to gage how I was improving by how little blood I lost!
Welcome to the asylum.
Bruce.