PDA

View Full Version : Have shellac....now, how to apply

Vautex
17th December 2004, 11:41 PM
Ok Im back again with questions about my didge.

I have purchased some white shellac and now I need to know how to apply the stuff.

I was wondering what the best method is for a cylinder shape like my didge. It is only a few inches at the top. Will I require some metho to thin it.

What is the best sequence to go through starting from raw timber.

Do I just sand it back as fine as I can (got some 800 grit) and then just apply the shellac (thinned?) or should I thin some right out and use it as a sanding sealer before I get goin?

Im thinking ill pad it on but im not sure and I dont have anything to practice on other than my didge, so I need to get right first time.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

gatiep
18th December 2004, 02:13 AM
Just a thought: Why didn't you ask the supplier. I make a point of asking the shop I buy my woody bits n pieces from. They usually give me good advice.

Enjoy your weekend.

:)

Vautex
18th December 2004, 02:43 AM
1) Coz I went on my way to work and was subsequently running very close to late and didnt have time to stay and chat otherwise I could stood there for as long as he took to help us out. I went to timbecon and they are very helpful, in fact I felt he wanted to have a chat to a new customer, but like I said, I was running late. I did plan to go back this weekend if I had time but that leads me to number two....

2) I got you resourceful lot to rely on.....dont I? I hope so. If not, no matter, like you say Ill see the supplier.

If I need Metho Ill be goin back anyway and Im also considering a Hard Shellac to go over a couple of coats of regular White Shellac.

Anywayz, have a good weekend yourself.

gatiep
18th December 2004, 02:59 AM
Good one mate, I wasn't having a go at you, it's just that you made a decision to buy the shellac, so I was just wondering what made you decide on a finish without knowing much about it. That made me think that just maybe the supplier recommended it and left you in the dark as how to use it.

As a woodturner I can tell you how to use it on turned stuff but not something that doesn't spin around. I'm sure someone will pop up with some advice.
Cya
:)

Vautex
18th December 2004, 07:54 AM
Nah, I knew you werent having a go, sorry if my post sounded that way :)

Mate I gotta tell ya that any finish I pick up I know nothing about hey! I came to that conclusion on shellac by asking people here what finish is appropriate for the task at hand but what i didnt ask until now is how to use it properly.

I could just have a go but I have a habit of making the best possible informed decision in everything. All it costs me is time which is sometimes a problem. Other than that its not a bad habit to have.

ubeaut
18th December 2004, 08:03 AM
Each of the links below will give you basic info on using shellac. To make sanding sealer mix 1 part shellac with 8 parts metho (preferably 100% IMS or Industrial Meths). I personally wouldn't use the hard shellac ofer the other on the didge.
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dewaxed.html
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/flakes.html#fp1
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/trad.html
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/sandseal.htm

Vautex
18th December 2004, 09:29 AM
Cheers.

I put a drop of the dewaxed white shellac on plate straight from the bottle and checked it in 5mins and it hadnt dried properly. It left a fingerprint in it. It probably dry now but with a fingerprint in it. Is this normal or is drying going to be a problem, Ive heard there can be problems when buying it premixed. Please dont be offended coz im just ignorant :)

If I thin it will it dry quicker?

Gumby
18th December 2004, 09:46 AM
Vautex, you will need to thin the Shellac down to around 50%.

Firstly, sand the timber to about 800. Go to 1200 if you have some but 800 is generally ok. Make sure you go through the grades gradually. 240, 320, 400, 800 etc. You can't go from 240 straight to 800 and get a decent result. (This may be obvious but just in case you weren't aware.)

Apply sanding sealer which you can make on your own or purchase from Ubeaut. Let it dry for a few minutes.

Sand lightly with 800 or 1200 again.

Now, thin the shellac to about 50% with metho by putting it into a small dish. Then apply the mixture with a cloth which you form into a pad. Spread it thinly and evenly. It will dry very quickly. Leave it for 10 minutes or so, and apply another coat. Keep doing this for at least 4 or 5 coats. If it's a bit rough, you can sand very lightly with 1200 at this point. If you do sand it, then apply a last shellac coat.
Let it dry and harden for 24 hours and then use Ubeaut EEE paste on it. You won't believe the result. :D