PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil

Christos
18th June 2011, 08:24 AM
If I wanted to thin out 100 percent Tung Oil would are the options available.

I did get an answer from someone but as it turned out I forgot what he said. I guess when he see's this post he might reply and so it is written,

Then is makes it a little harder to forget. :roll:

Big Shed
18th June 2011, 09:29 AM
You can use Mineral Turps, White Spirits or even Turpentine (the real thing) to thin Tung Oil (also known as China Wood Oil)

Master Splinter
18th June 2011, 11:42 AM
Orange oil, for a nicer smelling solvent.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2011, 07:05 PM
Personally, I'd stick with White Spirits. (aka Shellite)

Big Shed
18th June 2011, 07:39 PM
Personally, I'd stick with White Spirits. (aka Shellite)

Shellite is a different solvent to White Spirits, try using your Zippo lighter with White Spirits:no:

Christos
18th June 2011, 08:18 PM
What about Citrus Terpene?

enak
24th June 2011, 10:08 PM
I use boiled linseed oil and gum turpentine, then adding some poly afterwards to add some toughness to the surface.

Claw Hama
24th June 2011, 10:44 PM
Does all this sound familiar you thick headed bvgger:doh::D. Fletty and I said turps and a bit of Terebine to speed up the drying time or as some of the above have said I also make a Danish with 33%tung,33% blo and 33%polyurethane (Sam Maloof mix) Or sometimes I will just mix some blo in 50/50 as the blo is cheap like turps and spins it out further. So you did buy it then?

Christos
1st July 2011, 02:07 PM
Does all this sound familiar you thick headed bvgger:doh::D. Fletty and I said turps and a bit of Terebine to speed up the drying time or as some of the above have said I also make a Danish with 33%tung,33% blo and 33%polyurethane (Sam Maloof mix) Or sometimes I will just mix some blo in 50/50 as the blo is cheap like turps and spins it out further. So you did buy it then?

I am a little slow in responding as I had twice now forgotten to add email notification. :doh:
Yes I did purchase it.

Some background,
This was at the Sydney Working With Wood Show, it was Fletty and Claw Hama turn at the forum stand. So I went and asked a question of the forum. They gave me the answer but alas I forgot when I noticed .... So I posted a question (no such thing as a silly question even if I ask it more then once).

And it did get written and a couple more options. Now I just need to experiment. Maybe I should have purchased the 25 liters.

I think I might need to start saving from now :; for the next years Sydney show.