PDA

View Full Version : Small lathe under $300?

andrewr79
18th June 2011, 10:49 AM
Hi

I'm considering my first lathe, I only want something smallish that I can turn some tool handles on. Price limit would be about $200-300, dependent on how generous SWMBO'd and other relatives are feeling nearer to my birthday.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Andrew

pommyphil
18th June 2011, 12:58 PM
Something 2nd hand with a cast iron bed MC900, MC1100 ?

Be warned, it's addictive

Phil

pommyphil
22nd June 2011, 04:57 PM
Andrew If your quick there's a free one in the "market place" on this forum. Now!

andrewr79
22nd June 2011, 07:54 PM
I was at work so missed out, not sure how I would have picked it up anyway. Really appreciate the heads up though thanks phil!

derekcohen
22nd June 2011, 09:09 PM
Keep an eye out for a small Jet (mini lathe). They may not cost a lot more new. I have had one for about 5 years and it has run flawlessly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

sjm
22nd June 2011, 09:14 PM
Keep an eye out for a small Jet (mini lathe). They may not cost a lot more new. I have had one for about 5 years and it has run flawlessly.

I'd recommend a bed extension. My 1018 is rather limiting in terms of length once you add a chuck and allow for parting waste. If you're only turning file handles it's fine, but it's a bit short for two-handed chisel handles.

derekcohen
22nd June 2011, 09:24 PM
I'd recommend a bed extension. My 1018 is rather limiting in terms of length once you add a chuck and allow for parting waste. If you're only turning file handles it's fine, but it's a bit short for two-handed chisel handles.

The bed extension is excellent ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AStandformyJetMiniLathe_html_m698e7c99.jpg

These legs were turned on it - you can get a decent length ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/AShakerTableforMothersDay_html_m63b86ce8.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Groggy
22nd June 2011, 10:12 PM
I like those small Jet lathes, they are well made value-for-money machines that are a good size for most workshops.

bookend
27th June 2011, 02:10 AM
The small Jet non variable speed lathes are probably around the $400 - $500 mark before adding the extra for an extension. I checked the prices a couple of weeks ago but can't remember exactly, other than thinking they were much more expensive than the Carbatec mini lathe. I have no comments to make regarding build quality as I needed a mini lathe in a hurry and so did a quick phone around.

I ended up buying an MC1218vd from Beyond Tools here in Perth. It has a 550W motor, 12" swing, cast iron bed, variable speed- albeit on 3 belts 650RPM to 3800, comes with the standard faceplate and the 2 centres most of these small lathes have and was $289. The extension is about $70 which was also quite cheap. The display model looked very good and the strength of the Aussie dollar has brought the price of these lathes down significantly- ie it's cheaper than leftover stock of the next model down with 10" swing and no variable speed.

I will be putting it together next weekend, so I will know more about it then but the specs impressed. I am hoping to be impressed with the reality too.

Have a shop around.

derekcohen
27th June 2011, 02:40 AM
Hi Graeme

I wouldn't get too fussed about the 12" vs 10" swing as these lathes spin too fast for bowls. My Jet generally stays at the middle speed for everything. The price you paid seems very good. It will be interesting to compare it against a Jet. Enjoy!

Regards from Perth

Derek

quarterpound
27th June 2011, 03:10 AM
I can't find a "subscribe to thread" link, so I'm indicatin my interest at the same time as subscribing to this thread. Bring me some good news y'all!

jchappo
27th June 2011, 08:22 AM
You cant go wrong with a LEDA (http://ledamachinery.com.au/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=65&osCsid=b5cfbffbd07c410095a05a4df37d2f65) mini lathe at $264 plus $30 for an extension bed,
I have had mine for several years with no problems. To be honest, I prefer it to the Jet equivalents that we have at the club.

andrewr79
27th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone else had a good experience with the LEDA brand? It's more in my price bracket