PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Perth

smidsy
18th December 2004, 03:58 PM
Hei Guys,
Anyone here have either a power hacksaw (the big beasts with a vice) or a cold saw.
In the process of making some grinding jigs but all I have for steel cutting is angle grinders. This is fine for most cuts, but one cut has to be extremely acurate at about 10 or 15 degrees on one axis and exactly 90 degrees on the other axis.
Originally I tried cutting it close with a grinder and then grinding to the exact angle but it didn't work out.
The steel I need to cut is 25mm square 1.6mm wall tubing.

If anyone has a saw I could use or knows where I could access to one I'd be grateful - a friction cutter would probably do it but I would prefer a hacksaw or cold saw.
As a last resort I could buy a cheap friction cutter but since I so rarely play with steel these days I'm loath to spend the money for a one off.
PM me if you can help.
Cheers
Paul

echnidna
18th December 2004, 04:09 PM
The steel I need to cut is 25mm square 1.6mm wall tubing.
You need;
A square
A handheld hacksaw
A File

gatiep
18th December 2004, 07:36 PM
Smidsy

Only the 90 deg angle needs to be spot on. The other one is just to make the angle in relation to the wheel more suitable but the fine tuning comes when you use it by adjusting the height in relation to the circumfrence of the wheel. Believe me, I have made more than 25 of these. No reason why you couldn't do it with a hacksaw as Bob has said. Hey its only 25 mm sq tubing with 1.6 mm wall thickness, not a bridge girder. Will give you some excercise! ( lmaao )

Enjoy the weekend Paul.

:)

smidsy
18th December 2004, 07:49 PM
Hei Joe,
I've already made one and only noticed it when I was doing the clean up - I ended up with one corner falling off on both angles.
Although not having a sliding bevel and having to copy the angle from a note pad didn't help.
I'm gonna get a sliding bevel tommorrow and I have some steel cutting blades for the dremel so I may try again - I haven't cut with a hand hacksaw since high school.

Cheers
Paul

rodm
19th December 2004, 12:37 AM
Paul,
Check your PM's

gatiep
19th December 2004, 02:45 AM
Hei Joe,
I've already made one and only noticed it when I was doing the clean up - I ended up with one corner falling off on both angles.
Although not having a sliding bevel and having to copy the angle from a note pad didn't help.
I'm gonna get a sliding bevel tommorrow and I have some steel cutting blades for the dremel so I may try again - I haven't cut with a hand hacksaw since high school.

Cheers
Paul
Paul,
The hacksaw shouldn't be a problem then if you only used it a year ago! (rofl)

Serious now, perhaps it is time then to put your P plate Tshirt on and have a go with the hack saw.

Good luck

:)

Fred in Tassie
19th December 2004, 09:33 AM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Hi folk

It appears that these home made grinding jigs are reasonably common in the West.

I have been considering manufacturing one myself, however I have not been able to locate infomation or details/plans on a steel jig, there are plenty of wooden jigs on the net, however I would perfer steel.

Is anyone able to provide me with more detail on making a steel jig.
Cheers
Fred

smidsy
19th December 2004, 01:28 PM
Fred,
PM me a direct e-mail address and I'll send you some pics of the one I'm making.
Cheers
Paul

ozwinner
19th December 2004, 06:50 PM
Why all the secretcy?
Is your jig soooooooo bad?

Al :confused:

old logger
20th December 2004, 11:30 PM
Several years back I slapped one together using a washing machine gear box for the reciprocating action.I heated and bent the shaft and mounted a bow saw frame with a 16 inch blade.I also used roller skate wheels for the guides.It was pretty ugly but it lasted me for a couple of years.The only cost was a bit of time.A friend's commercial model was my model.I hope this helps.

Sprog
21st December 2004, 04:58 PM
I have not been able to locate infomation or details/plans on a steel jig, there are plenty of wooden jigs on the net, however I would perfer steel.

Fred

Can't you substitute steel for wood ?
Just reduce the thicknesses to suit.

smidsy
21st December 2004, 11:21 PM
Substituting for wood is not an option.
The critical angle is a peice of tube that has another peice inside it - the inside peice has to be able to move up or down to set the angle of the scraper face against the grinder wheel.

I suppose as a last resort you could cut the tube square, set the angle with a sliding bevel, tack it and then bog up the gap with weld.

Fortunately my welder is a little domestic mig which makes life a lot easier.

Cheers
Paul

Sprog
22nd December 2004, 04:41 PM
Substituting for wood is not an option.
Cheers
Paul

I was actually asking Fred if he could substitute steel for wood in the wooden jig plans he had found on the net :D :D

The jigs below could be made equally well in either metal or wood

Woodturning Tools Sharpening Jigs (http://www.jeanmichel.org/woodturnjigs.htm)

smidsy
22nd December 2004, 05:06 PM
Hei Sprog,
My mistake.
I ended up finishing mine today, if they ever have prizes for ugly welding I am a certain winner but it is functional.
The sod angle I sorted with a heap of grinding, but when I tacked one side I noticed that it was a little out, I managed to fix it by pulling it as I welded the othe side - maybe it was the welding that pulled it out.
I'll post some pics when it's together.
Cheers
Paul

Orange
30th December 2004, 10:51 PM
sorry i do not have one but i thinnk my uncle has one. i live in perth so i might be able 2 get you one if we stay in contact i will let you know.