PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Owen Finishing Tool

ticklingmedusa
20th June 2011, 08:08 PM
Has anybody tried one of these tools yet?
From my corner of the peanut gallery the
round vs flat stock idea seems reasonable.
Making a shop made scraper thicker and stronger
this way seems like it would reduce vibration and chatter
considerably in some situations.
link to video
Tracy Owen Fine Finishing Tools - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Henry_Taylor___Tracy_Owen_Fine_Finishing_Tools___htt_tracy_owen?Args=)

RETIRED
20th June 2011, 10:18 PM
You get the same effect by using a traditional gouge.

TTIT
20th June 2011, 10:30 PM
Personally I reckon you're far better off with the Sorby gear like my RS200. You get the same round back to roll for shear-scraping with the added benefit of being able to spin the tear-drop cutter to get various shaped edges PLUS it makes a fantastic hollowing tool with the cutting bit installed. Basically all three of those Tracey Owen tools plus a hollower rolled into one tool - sorry to rain on your parade :;

HSS
21st June 2011, 01:01 AM
I do a lot of hollowing with scrapers (including roughing with heavy cuts) and find that the custom scrapers I've made with round stock are good for two reasons stated on the Tracey Owen link you've posted. Firstly, they require less effort to hold when working with the scraper at an angle (e.g. 45 degrees), this means that you've got more freedom to guide the tool in cutting (no leverage acting on the cutting edge). Secondly the larger stock provides greater rigidity when working a long way over the tool rest (I use 4140 high tensile steel with M2 HSS cutting tips silver soldered on).