PDA

View Full Version : what is this thing?

2zenmonks
21st June 2011, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone

Just two simple questions...

See that thing in the photo attached with the arrow pointing at it. What is it called and where in Melbourne can I get a couple?

As you can tell, I know nothing about working with metal.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

David

sjm
21st June 2011, 03:56 PM
Is it threaded? Does it have bearings inside? What size is it?

2zenmonks
21st June 2011, 05:54 PM
Is it threaded? Does it have bearings inside? What size is it?

Hi SJM

There are no threads or bearings.

I do not know the size except to say that I think they would take a 5 - 10mm thick rod, at least that is what I am looking for.

David

HazzaB
21st June 2011, 06:05 PM
Hey David,

I would hazzard a guess and say that they are 'Doo Hickys' Probably quicker to make them than try and find some, but seriously I would try the local Bearing place. They look like they are made to hold something, probably even try the nearest Caravan repairer or trailer builder, have seen similar 'Doo Hickeys' where attachments anchor when camper trailers unfold.

Just my thoughts

HazzaB

RayG
21st June 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi David,

My guess would be "Bearing block" have a look around this site, you might find one with the dimensions you need.

Housingsbearingblocksdiecast - Small Mechanical Parts And Components (http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partslist/housingsbearingblocksdiecast/housingswithintegralbearing/wide/1/)

Regards
Ray

.RC.
21st June 2011, 06:55 PM
A hinge?

jack620
21st June 2011, 08:12 PM
I'll second the hinge. gate hinge in fact. Bunnings?

Grahame Collins
21st June 2011, 08:46 PM
Truck body or truck/trailer tailgate hinge
Google royal truck bodies hinge block.

Grahame

sjm
21st June 2011, 08:47 PM
Yep, without bearings or threads, I'd also add my vote to a hinge.

Kody
21st June 2011, 10:58 PM
My guess is that it's a cheap die-cast hinge for light duty only. The countersunk screw holes do suggest its for light duty. If it was for heavy duty, the holes would be standard holes to fit bolts into.

pipeclay
21st June 2011, 11:04 PM
Just to make it a little less of a guessing game would you be able to describe what the end use of your pictured items is.
Depending on the end use there may well be allternatives to what you have pictured that will give the same result.

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 05:05 PM
Are these close enough for you?

2 Pcs SK10 10mm Linear Rail Shaft Support XYZ CNC | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220799638170)

Stuart

2zenmonks
23rd June 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi pipeclay
It is to hold some rod in place while it (the rod) is being turned. I think it was for a router jig to adjust the position of a router fence. I cannot help more that that.

Hi stustoys
Thanks for that, and yes that is sorta what I am looking for (I think). The only difference is the slot used to tightening around the rod which I do not need. I would just leave it open so the rod can be turned.

Hi RayG
Yes, I think you are spot on, it's a "bearing block". Thanks for your help. What a great site for small components. I have often wondered where people got all those small components from. A excellent site to know about.

In fact, thanks to everyone who put up a reply. People's generosity is always amazing, and Australians are particularly good at it. Generosity is what holds this world together.

David

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 08:17 PM
:doh:Seems I missed Rays post.