PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up!

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 12:59 PM
SWMBO told me to cleanup around the house;

Before and After pics

(There is of course an ulterior motive in making room for the new workshop:D)

Cheers

DanP
19th December 2004, 01:44 PM
Good work squizz. What's the retaining wall made of?

Dan

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 02:21 PM
Dan, Its reconstitued Limestone, about twice the strength of Natural stone. 220kg a Brick!.

Cheers

bitingmidge
19th December 2004, 02:43 PM
Gasp!!

What did you do with all the shed-filling stuff??

Looking forward to the next installment!

P

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 02:53 PM
P, The garden shed was my last bastion of maleness around the place. It was so full of crap you could hardly get in the door. Anyway, its all in storage now and I'm going friggin round the twist, can't find my rivet gun, screwdriver etc etc.

I was hoping to order my new shed (10m x 4.5m) after chrissy. Have to get it up because the list is out of control. Hopefully some juicy contracts will come in over the break and I'll be right. Its been a long hard struggle to get to this stage and I don't even have a slab laid yet!. Meanwhile my machinery is idle and probably rusting:(

Cheers

outback
19th December 2004, 04:03 PM
But where's all the tiger snakes you promised? :eek:

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 04:06 PM
But where's all the tiger snakes you promised? :eek:
Oh they are under training at the moment, down the back in the woodpile, guarding my jarrah:D

Cheers

echnidna
19th December 2004, 04:36 PM
He's probably hiding them under his Christmas Tree!!

Ben from Vic.
19th December 2004, 04:51 PM
Dan, Its reconstitued Limestone, about twice the strength of Natural stone. 220kg a Brick!.

Cheers

Any more details on what "reconstituted Limestone" is?

seriph1
19th December 2004, 05:19 PM
Oh, we're hosting the tiger snakes next door to us on this vacant block - grass is about 2-3ft. high ..............

seriph1
19th December 2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.archistone.com.au/company.html

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 05:40 PM
Any more details on what "reconstituted Limestone" is?
Ben, it is loose or crushed limestone mixed in a slurry with cement to form a more consistent stone. They are now made all over Australia wherever limestone is quarried. There is about 5 manufacturers in Perth and several in the south-west. They all have their so called secret recipes.

They work out at about $30 to $75 per 1 metre stone laid (1000 x 350 x 350) depending on the access, earthworks, cutting etc required. Labour forms the main part of the cost (and the machinery required to lift it in place)

I have a natural stone wall across the front yard and it looks great but the reconstituted is truly a 100 year wall and it don't look too bad. The natural stone wears easily (like if you p*ss on it) and requires re-pointing every 10 years of so. I does have a timeless beauty.

Everybody seems to be into the bevelled re-con blocks at the moment and I hate it. Its a fad and the bloody bevels make it a bugger to keep the wall true and also a pain to cut.

Cheers

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 05:55 PM
Here's a few more Before during and after. Down the back is where the shed is going (SWMBO has decided)

Cheers

ozwinner
19th December 2004, 06:10 PM
SWMBO told me to cleanup around the house;

Before and After pics

(There is of course an ulterior motive in making room for the new workshop:D)

Cheers
You even cleaned the sky!! Good work.

Al :D

vsquizz
19th December 2004, 06:23 PM
Al, did you see our little orange Bar-B-Q up the back in the photie:D

If you notice in the first pic there is a few spats of rain on the old slabs. Last drops we saw about a month ago. Ticking along at 35 deg C at the moment and gunna get hotter tomorro. So muggins here will be first on site for stone laying in the morning, lock meself in the Kubota, turn on A/C and not come out:D jus wave at the boys from time to time. Have to watch em at smoko time though.

Cheers

journeyman Mick
19th December 2004, 10:18 PM
Damn, and there I was thinking that reconstituted limestone meant you could lay a 20kg block in place and add lots of water till it swelled up to its full size! :D

Mick the mock mason

ozwinner
20th December 2004, 04:59 PM
Just like 2 minute knoooodles.

Al :D