PDA

View Full Version : Reading oil levels

Bryan
22nd June 2011, 09:42 PM
Just a quickie: Those sight glasses with the red dot in the centre... Is the dot meant to be the correct level or the minimum level?

Stustoys
22nd June 2011, 09:49 PM
My vote is for correct level when the machine is off.
Stuart

Gavin Newman
22nd June 2011, 09:55 PM
I agree. It's the only logical way to be able to a) tell the correct level and b) confirm by a glance that there's any oil in the box at all.

Dave J
22nd June 2011, 09:59 PM
I think as above.

Dave

Bryan
22nd June 2011, 10:59 PM
Great, thanks guys. I was thinking of the red dot as the danger level, but I will be advised by your collective wisdom. :)

pipeclay
23rd June 2011, 12:51 AM
Dont be surprised if when you opperate the equipment with the sight glass becomes empty.
If it is for a pumped lubrication system it should remain at the correct level in the sight glass when running,if it is Splash lubrication the Sight glass will either show nothing or just a telltail.

.RC.
23rd June 2011, 09:16 AM
In pumped systems you should see oil running down the sight glass when the machine is operating... This is showing the oil pump is working...

steran50
23rd June 2011, 01:57 PM
Just a quickie: Those sight glasses with the red dot in the centre... Is the dot meant to be the correct level or the minimum level?

HI:), It is meant to be the Correct Level and as Stuart said the Machine should be Turned off. Also the machine should be in a level position when the Oil Level is checked.

matthew_g
23rd June 2011, 01:59 PM
The manual that came with my lathe says the oil should read at the half way mark in the sight glass..
My sight glass has a red line through the center.. Hope this helps
Matt

Gavin Newman
23rd June 2011, 02:41 PM
The thing is, it's the only logical solution (apart from a dip-stick).

If you don't have the static oil level somewhere within the range of the sight glass you cannot tell whether there is any oil in the gearbox at all or whether it's full to the brim.

Given that, it makes sense for the required level to be halfway up the glass.

On the AL960B the oil level drops about 1/8" to 3/16" when the lathe is running so it's always within the range of the sight glass, static or under power.