PDA

View Full Version : Oil levels and VSD's

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 02:12 PM
Bryans thread on oil levels reminded me of a question I've been thinking about for awhile. On a geared head lathe with splash lubrication, slowing the spindle down with the VSD means there will be less oil being thrown about. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this being a problem?

Stuart

pipeclay
23rd June 2011, 02:29 PM
How much slower than the lowest speed do you intend to run.
How long do you intend to run at this low speed.

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 03:35 PM
PC,
As yet I haven't fitted a VSD to my lathe, but the impresstion I got was "leave it in top and let the VSD look after it"
If I were mostly using the gears with fine adjusting/short term changes with the VSD I don't see there being an issue.
Stuart

pipeclay
23rd June 2011, 03:40 PM
As long as you are not running the machine well under,lets say 50/75% of the lowest speed it shouldnt matter at all,its the Gears or the Oil flinger passing through the oil that gives the lube to the galleries ,bearings and ports.

RayG
23rd June 2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Stuart

I run at zero Hz for long periods, overnight sometimes...:rolleyes:

Regards
Ray

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 04:09 PM
lol

What I was thinking is that its mostly the gears on the input shaft that throw the oil. Normally they spin at the same speed regardless of the spindle speed. I'll pull the top off my gearbox and see where the oil sits. brb.

Stuart

Stustoys
23rd June 2011, 04:56 PM
The only gears that are in the oil are two of the three on the input shaft and the gears that take the powerfeed from the spindle to the powerfeed output shaft.(not my best pictures)

Its just occurred to me that it would be easy enough to check once a VSD is fitted as you could run the spindle slowly without the headstock cover on. Slowly turn the speed up until you start throwing oil all over the place and make that your min Hz.

I guess I'm worrying about nothing again.

Stuart

Dave J
23rd June 2011, 05:01 PM
Just sit a piece of clear perspex or glass over the top to check. Saves putting oil everywhere.

Dave

eskimo
23rd June 2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Stuart

Regards
Ray

you wally...:D..why leave your lathe running all night...do you have shares in power co:rolleyes:

Greg Q
23rd June 2011, 06:43 PM
Hi Stuart

Regards
Ray

Zero hertz is my default setting too. Where's that pain medicine got to?

RayG
23rd June 2011, 06:51 PM
Zero hertz is my default setting too. Where's that pain medicine got to?

There's a joke here about zero hertz and lubrication, but, no way, am I going there.... :B

Regards
Ray