PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please.

Scott
23rd June 2011, 10:13 PM
After shaping the outside of this Blackbutt blank I received a little surprise when a knot fell out of the side. So before I go and hollow out, what can I do with this hole? Just leave it as a "feature" or fill with something? Any ideas? The hole is about the size of a 20 cent piece.

First picture is the knot hole and the second the knot from above.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott.

brendan stemp
23rd June 2011, 11:22 PM
Leave it as a feature would be fine. Alternatives: fill it with clear epoxy resin (best solution IMO) or epoxy glue and black oxide mixture.

RETIRED
23rd June 2011, 11:23 PM
I would leave it as a feature.

Second bit of advice: The tenon looks too long. It should seat against the front of the jaws, not the bottom.

Scott
23rd June 2011, 11:30 PM
Second bit of advice: The tenon looks too long. It should seat against the front of the jaws, not the bottom.

Thanks , I've just started out a few months ago so this is solid advice. Thanks once again.

turnerted
24th June 2011, 05:38 PM
SIT
I would leave it as a feature . Maybe run some superglue in to stop more bits falling out .If you are hollowing it out so's the hole goes right through, it will help you judge the wall thickness .
Ted

chuck1
26th June 2011, 01:09 PM
up could turn a handle to put in the hole for something different! id leave it tho!

skot
26th June 2011, 01:20 PM
Leave as a feature...do not fill