PDA

View Full Version : colouring glue

darkhorse50
25th June 2011, 07:24 AM
hi guys, this is my first post here,i am looking for a way to colour up some tecniglue. what do you mix with it that wont interfer with its bonding capabilities . also i am looking for a cheep suply of tecniglue, where does everybody buy it from.i make laminated traditional bowslong bows and recurves and there is alot of wastage in the glueing up.thanks for your hepl,gaz.

mic-d
25th June 2011, 08:18 AM
You can use small amounts of oxide colours to tint epoxy, but if you use too much the glue will not set properly. Just enough to tint correctly, but I can't quantify, you may want to do some tests. Instead of Techniglue consider Botecote - cheaper and easier to mix (1:1) but just as good IMO.

Claw Hama
25th June 2011, 09:17 AM
I use a drop or two Feast Watsons Prooftint in my epoxys but like mic said keep it to the minimum you can get away with. It does take a bit longer to go off but then seems fine. I would try it and then do some destruction test. You don't want a bow blowing up in your face.

elanjacobs
25th June 2011, 09:37 PM
I've tinted Techniglue with pigment paste on the advice that it's more even than powders and a drop of it goes a loooong way. I've tried the paste in 5 min epoxy and builder's bog too and it makes them both set faster, not sure about Techniglue cos the stuff I've used is 24-hour cure anyway.