PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for lambswool applicator?

jur
20th December 2004, 10:17 AM
I am looking for advice for something to use instead of a lambswool applicator. I finished my floor with those, and each layer had its share of wool hairs embedded in the finish, despite my very best efforts in buying the best one, following instructions about pre-washing to the letter, combing and vacuuming them etc etc.

I am currently thinking about either one of those sponge-backed applicators with the fine synthetic hairs. For this one the question is, wil it work at all? Will it produce bubbles?

A 2nd possibility is a short-nap roller. Here I am worried about the filaments releasing while rolling the finish on and again spoiling the look, or producing an orange-peel effect. Any advice?

As a third alternative, I am thinking about using a natural sponge mop with the finish thinned a bit, but it says on the tin don't thin, why that advice? Also, will the sponge mop produce bubbles? Will thinning the stuff ease bubble problems by reducing the viscosity so bubbles can dissipate?

Any advice on what I should be trying first? I intend to experiment to find the best result, but others' ideas would be much valued. I don't want hairs in my finish again, neither bubbles.

I don't have access to spraying equipment and the finish (Cabot's Floorguard, a tung-based urethane) can't be sprayed anyway.

maglite
20th December 2004, 01:38 PM
A short nap mohair roller may be what you are looking for.
I sealed and polished a floor with 2 pack estapol and used one of those, on the advice of a pro, instead of the lambswool applicator.
Made things easier.

outback
20th December 2004, 04:08 PM
I beleive some people use these to apply lambs wool.

jur
20th December 2004, 04:24 PM
maglite, did you get any orange peel effect?

maglite
20th December 2004, 04:37 PM
Hi Jur,
The orange peel effect happened when it was wet but when it had dried the finish was crystal clear.
I didnt even get any air bubbles either.
Perhaps you could try it on a piece of scrap board for your own peace of mind.
One suggestion is to make sure that you treat the sleeve before using it with mineral turps a few times, much the same as you treated the other applicators.
Cheers
Steve