PDA

View Full Version : Turned timber posts for floor lamps?

axella
26th June 2011, 06:38 PM
Greetings,

I have been fruitlessly seeking a pair of "vintage" timber floor lamps like this, with the built-in table (but not this ugly shade!):

http://home.austarnet.com.au/mtaylor/floorlamp.jpg

It doesn't have to have a 3-legged base - a regular timber base would be fine.

My problem is that I have no idea where to get these posts. I can't simply walk into a hardware store and buy a turned post (besides, they're too big and bulky anyway, as those are meant for holding up verandahs and such). It would have have to be centre-drilled for the wiring, and I don't know anyone who can do that for me.

I figured surely there has a be a place out there where I can get lamp bits?

Thanks. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th June 2011, 09:17 PM
I think you'd be pushing your luck to find such "on the shelf."

And many hobbyist woodturners wouldn't know how to make them, as long-hole boring is an art in itself!

Although you can always split square stock down the middle, rout the channel and then glue the stock back together. After turning, staining and finishing it'd take an eagle eye to pick the joint... :think:

Sir Stinkalot
26th June 2011, 09:28 PM
Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies will sell the lamp components:

CWS Store - Lamp Kits | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-lamp-kits)

If you are not keen on turning the lamp yourself you may even ask Jim Carroll if he would be interested in doing it for you!

Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies is owned and operated by Jim Carroll & Irene Brook. We have been in operation since March 1995 and in that time have expanded from a small part time operation to what we are today Full time and catering to all the wants & needs of the woodworking community.

For those wishing to visit our shop our hours are:

Monday - Friday 10am - 5pm,

Saturday 10am - 1pm,

Closed Sundays, Public Holidays, Long Weekends and when we are involved with shows. If in doubt please call ahead so as not to be disappointed.

66 Murradoc Road
Drysdale
Victoria 3222
Phone 61 3 5251 3874
Fax 61 3 5251 3864
[email protected]

China
27th June 2011, 01:01 AM
Contact a woodturning club that is near you I'm sure some one in the club would love to make a few dollars

axella
29th August 2011, 08:47 AM
Thank you for the very helpful suggestions, as always. :)

tea lady
29th August 2011, 09:26 AM
Off course there is always and me.:cool::cool: In Tooradin. Come on down. :U There ain't nothing can't do. And probably has already done sometime. I'm sure we could make something for you!:)