PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Sturdee's wood storage shed.

Pages : [1] 2

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 05:26 PM
Like most of us, I do not have enough room to properly store the wood Michelle and I collect as the workshop is not big enough. So I have had to store stuff in the garage, in the garden shed, the covered BBQ area, on the floor of the workshop and even some in the laundry.

With the demise of the last of our chooks I've decided to convert the chook house together with the covered and enclosed run into a proper wood storage shed.

As there was great interest in the last shed conversion I did earlier this year I suppose a WIP would be interesting as again I will try to use only recycled materials for this project.

Whilst this project is getting urgent, in order to make space in the workshop, I will be doing this project in between others so completion will take a few months.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 05:39 PM
The chook shed , including run and attached food prep/storage area, is 8.5 metres long and half is 2.4 metres wide and the rest is 1.8 meters. It is totally covered and built against the side fence (no neighbours as it abuts the side road) in my backyard.

Already in the food prep/storage area I have removed the bench and replaced it with shelving along one wall. Power is connected to this part so I will extend it it to give light in the back parts.

Photos 1 & 2 is the outside view of the shed.

Photo 3 is a close up of the original food prep/storage are with the egg collecting box at right which I will call shed no 1.

Photo 4 is the outside of the actual chook shed now to be shed no 2.

Photo 5 is the outside view of the enclosed run now to be shed no 3.

Photos 6 - 8 are the inside views of shed no 3. Rather grotty at this stage but a few doors here and there and shelving will make this a great storage area.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 05:43 PM
This part will be the first, as part is already done and has been in use for a while.

It will have shelving in a U shape along both side walls and the back. Photo 1 shows what I've previously done and photo 2 is where I will start next.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 05:54 PM
Those who have watched my previous shed conversion will remember that I like to use doors, doors and even more doors :D as wall and ceiling material together with shelving material discarded and thrown out in the regular hard rubbish collection by the local councils.

As it is again the season for hard rubbish (they do it twice a year around here :2tsup: ) so over the weekend I went looking for materials. The result of a day's collecting is shown in the photos below. Enough doors, framing timber and melamine shelving to finish shed no 1.

As always comments, questions and advice as I go along is welcome.

Peter.

Pat
28th June 2011, 06:16 PM
I'll grab front row seat. Any one who needs to get rid of old bookshelves and lives near Pete . . .

Tankstand
28th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Looking on with interest! I am constantly being berated for taking over the wife's garden shed with wood, or under the verandah.:(

It must be fun playing darts outside in the breeze?

wheelinround
28th June 2011, 06:31 PM
shove over Pat

Peter your not using enough wood building to many sheds :p

BobR
28th June 2011, 08:31 PM
Peter, your neighbourhood must have a thing about changing doors. Can't remember ever seeing doors around our streets when we lived in Sydney. This project looks it was made for an old chook house.

Christos
28th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Amazing. I am watching another shed rebuild.

Couple of months or several more no matter will be watching.

Will also watch the next shed rebuild for your friend, your cousin, your aunty, the person down the road that just met yesterday and so the story goes. :q

wun4us
28th June 2011, 10:31 PM
Those who have watched my previous shed conversion will remember that I like to use doors, doors and even more doors :D as wall and ceiling material together with shelving material discarded and thrown out in the regular hard rubbish collection by the local councils.

As it is again the season for hard rubbish (they do it twice a year around here :2tsup: ) so over the weekend I went looking for materials. The result of a day's collecting is shown in the photos below. Enough doors, framing timber and melamine shelving to finish shed no 1.

As always comments, questions and advice as I go along is welcome.

Peter.

Would that our council had periodic "footpath" collections. Always one man's/woman's trash is another's treasure. Notwithstanding, there is a veritable treasure trove (at times) of non-returnable pallets and packing frames/cases of all shapes and sizes to keep me happy, and to drive herself around the bend.:U:U:roll:

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2011, 10:53 PM
:2tsup:

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 11:17 PM
Peter, your neighbourhood must have a thing about changing doors. Can't remember ever seeing doors around our streets when we lived in Sydney. This project looks it was made for an old chook house.

In the same collection run I left another 8 doors as they didn't look nice enough or were the wrong colour. :U

Actually doors are very common. Most people that renovate older houses go for the polished floor look and take up the carpet to expose the lovely timber floor previously hidden. Problem is that there is then quite a large gap so they replace the doors rather than fix them. Hence my gain.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th June 2011, 11:20 PM
Would that our council had periodic "footpath" collections.

I live close to three council areas that have hard rubbish collections and they have them twice a year :2tsup: so materials for a project like this is readily available.

Peter.

The Bleeder
29th June 2011, 07:56 AM
Ok Peter, we know how liters per 100ks a car gets but what I want to know is how many doors per kilometer you get. :U

Pat, Wheelin move over I'm back.

Sawdust Maker
29th June 2011, 02:28 PM
Beaudy - another shed makeover. Gawd, Pat and Ray have spread themselves over all the front row. I'll sit in the second row again. Stop fidgeting, Pat! can't see around you when you do that.

In the same collection run I left another 8 doors as they didn't look nice enough or were the wrong colour. :U

Peter.

Are we getting picky for a wood storage shed?

Sturdee
29th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Ok Peter, we know how liters per 100ks a car gets but what I want to know is how many doors per kilometer you get. :U

Pat, Wheelin move over I'm back.

In my little Ford Festiva hatchback, with the back seats folded down and the hatch open I have carried 9 doors with some door handles still attached.

Without them may ten or eleven. :U

Peter.

Sturdee
29th June 2011, 04:26 PM
Are we getting picky for a wood storage shed?

As I live in a posh neighbourhood only the best will do. :U

Peter.

Sturdee
30th June 2011, 05:32 PM
Had some time available this afternoon, after finishing of the tiling in my renovation :2tsup:, so I demolished the egg laying/collecting box which was between shed no 1 and shed no 2 and the roosting bars.

Photo 1 shows the egg laying/collecting box in shed no 1 and photo 2 is the after demolition shot.

Photos 3 & 4 show the interior of shed no 2 prior to starting and the final photo shows the result of the demolition.

Shed no 1 is now ready for building shelves but before doing that I will have to bolt through the joining wall some pine framing timber to secure the door wall in shed No 2 .

So the next step is to remove the accumulated fertilised sawdust from shed no 2. This I will spread out as mulch on the outside garden between the fence and the footpath.

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd July 2011, 03:50 PM
I removed the accumulated fertilised sawdust from shed no 2 and spread it out as mulch on the outside garden between the fence and the footpath.

I also removed about half the sawdust from shed no 3 and also spread it outside. This shed floor although although still having a fair bit of sawdust is now reasonably level.

I will cover both floors with a 50mm layer of Lilydale toppings. This is a lime based crushed rock type of aggregate and when watered in and rolled flat become compact and hard as rock and is the same material that I've used for all the garden paths.

I then gave the two sheds a thorough hosing down and removed about eighteen years of dust from the walls and ceilings.

So here are some photos of all this. Photo 1 & 2 show the shed no 2 after cleaning and photos 3, 4 & 5 show shed no 3.

The sawdust was fairly easy to dig up and spread out covered the mulch around the shrubs in the outside side garden between the footpath and our fence.

Photos 6, 7 & 8 show the spread out mulch.

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd July 2011, 05:01 PM
Now that the sheds are clean I've been able to take some measurements and made a rough calculation of the number of doors I will need if I'm to cover all the walls and ceilings in both shed 2 and 3.

Those who have been following my previous "Doormitory" thread will remember how many doors I saved from landfill that time and if I do this rebuild properly and cover all walls and ceilings I will need more doors than I used in that one.

So have a guess how many I will need? It is more than three car loads. Please post your guess here. Unfortunately the nearest answer will not get a prize but may come and have a personal inspection upon completion.

Peter.

Christos
2nd July 2011, 05:21 PM
43 doors.

Sawdust Maker
2nd July 2011, 10:42 PM

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2011, 10:48 PM
48 standards, a roller door and the back flap from a pan dunny . :;

wun4us
2nd July 2011, 10:54 PM
48 standards, a roller door and the back flap from a pan dunny . :;

make it a double roller door and a 2.4m glass slider for a skylight and moon roof:D

Sturdee
3rd July 2011, 06:38 PM
make it a double roller door and a 2.4m glass slider for a skylight and moon roof:D

:no: You can't cut them down to size with a circular saw.

Went kerbside shopping this afternoon and picked up another 12 doors needed for this project.

Peter.

wun4us
3rd July 2011, 08:00 PM
:no: You can't cut them down to size with a circular saw.

Went kerbside shopping this afternoon and picked up another 12 doors needed for this project.

Peter.

Won't it fit on the roof? just needs something to stop the scratches!!

Years ago, my Dad had an old Hillman Minx and he went out to get a bit of timber to play with. He came back with the timber strapped to the gutter-mount roof racks, right in the middle, and you guessed it, the timber had bent the roof racks down to the roof and then some....he never did live it down!!

Sturdee
3rd July 2011, 11:45 PM
Won't it fit on the roof? just needs something to stop the scratches!!

Years ago, my Dad had an old Hillman Minx and he went out to get a bit of timber to play with. He came back with the timber strapped to the gutter-mount roof racks, right in the middle, and you guessed it, the timber had bent the roof racks down to the roof and then some....he never did live it down!!

and

In my little Ford Festiva hatchback, with the back seats folded down and the hatch open I have carried 9 doors with some door handles still attached.

Without them may ten or eleven. :U

Peter.

Why put them on the roof when they fit in the back as per a previous photo. :2tsup:

Peter.

wun4us
4th July 2011, 12:35 AM
and

Why put them on the roof when they fit in the back as per a previous photo. :2tsup:

Peter.

Wasn't any hatch backs in those days, Peter, just 4 doors and a tiny boot!!

Sturdee
4th July 2011, 04:59 PM
Wasn't any hatch backs in those days, Peter, just 4 doors and a tiny boot!!

I remember the Hillmans, we had one. Not much room anywhere except in the engine bay, plenty of room to do repairs.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th July 2011, 05:01 PM
So have a guess how many doors I will need?
Peter.

I would have thought I would get more entries. No correct guess as yet.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th July 2011, 05:17 PM
Yesterday, whilst collecting doors, I noticed a pile of white melamine kitchen cupboards being thrown.

As I will need a bit of melamine for the shelving today I went and disassembled them. This amounted to another boot load so I'm on track for the materials needed.

Marvelous how the neighbourhood helps in this way. :2tsup:

Peter.

Sturdee
4th July 2011, 05:20 PM
Yesterday I bolted some old pine railings to the metal wall of shed no 2, which needed to be done before rear access was closed of by the new shelving in shed no 1.

I also pulled through the electric wiring whilst that part was open as per photo attached.

Now I can start on making some shelves in the first shed.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th July 2011, 05:32 PM
About 40 years ago I bought a pine bookcase, which after a number of years was altered to allow for a TV wall unit. So some shelves were removed and now, as a result of some renovations, is no longer needed.

Photo 1 shows the bookcase and this can again be used as part of the shelving needed. The unit is 920mm wide, 1800mm high and 230mm deep. Although not as deep as I would like it will be good to store smaller blanks etc. As it is to tall for the space I cut it to size (photo 2) and reattached to top back in photo 3.

The rebuilt unit is now fixed into the opening as per photos 4 & 5 . This will new need additional shelves and side supports to take the weight but that is easy now that I have a frame to work against.

Peter.

jmk89
4th July 2011, 06:12 PM

wun4us
4th July 2011, 10:43 PM
75 and the bottom half of a Dutch door.:2tsup:

munruben
11th July 2011, 07:30 PM
36 I reckon. Won't be able to come down and view your handiwork though Peter, too far mate. :) Good thread:2tsup:

Newoodworker
11th July 2011, 08:01 PM
53 is my guess.

woodie2
11th July 2011, 08:14 PM
43 and 3/4 of doors is my guess. OH and don't forget the old book case:U

Sturdee
11th July 2011, 11:53 PM
Yesterday I again went kerbside shopping, next council collection area, and the picking was somewhat sparse.

I only found 5 doors to add to the growing collection for the shed conversions. We are now halfway through the collection areas and for the next 4 weeks there will be 4 other areas to look at.:2tsup:

Saw some very nice furniture being disposed of, somehow breaks my heart to see that, but unfortunately I have no need or use for them.

Been to cold to work outside, so I've been working in the workshop remodelling and reorganising to make room for a proper sharpening area.

Peter

Sturdee
11th July 2011, 11:57 PM
The guesses so far are : 31, 36, 43, 43 3/4, 48, 53, 63, & 75.

A great range of numbers and one of them is only one of the right number, but which one is that is the question.

I'll leave you all in suspense for another week and will reveal the answer next Sunday.

Peter.

Boringgeoff
12th July 2011, 10:58 AM
Whew I can smell the chook from here.

I'm going with a nice round 50.

When I dug the service pit in my shed I shovelled the spoil into the tiny bucket on the front of Fergie. When I had about 5 bucket fulls out I ran a guess how many buckets contest with family and friends, having provided them with all the relevant info.

Surprisingly my oldest son (chippy) and BIL (teacher) were wide of the mark and BIL s partner (woman) nailed it within a bucket or two.

Geoff.

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2011, 11:23 AM
44. :)

NCArcher
12th July 2011, 12:09 PM
42 :):)

Sturdee
12th July 2011, 05:41 PM
Whew I can smell the chook from here.

Geoff.

Bit hard Geoff as the smell has nearly disappeared. Since the hose down I've had the doors propped open to really air it out.

By the time I get some Lilydale topping to cover the ground it will all be gone.

Peter.

Sturdee
12th July 2011, 05:50 PM

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

We have a winner. Congratulations on your successful guess.

:wtg:

42 doors is the number I calculated. Commiserations on the unsuccessful entries.

Peter.

Christos
12th July 2011, 08:57 PM
The guesses so far are : 31, 36, 43, 43 3/4, 48, 53, 63, & 75.

A great range of numbers and one of them is only one of the right number, but which one is that is the question.

I'll leave you all in suspense for another week and will reveal the answer next Sunday.

Peter.

Now that's a real bugger you gave it away. :o

Well done NCArcher. :brava

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2011, 10:31 PM
Close but no cigar. :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2011, 10:44 PM
42 doors is the number I calculated. Commiserations on the unsuccessful entries.

Is that including the doors needed to plug the entry hole(s)? :U

Sturdee
30th July 2011, 05:08 PM
I've been to busy reorganising my workshop, and it has been to cold to work outside, to do much on the woodstore.

However I've been busy collecting doors, framing materials and melamine boards whilst the council had it's hard rubbish collection.

Here are the photos showing most of the stash I collected fort this project. The melamine boards are in the garage and the rest is neatly stacked in the woodstore. I'll be glad when the garage is empty of all the stuff.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Sturdee
30th July 2011, 05:21 PM
Most of you will know that my workshop is under my house and due to the various stages of expansions has a number of interconnected but distinct areas.

Over the years my interests have changed and a number of large machines, which were seldom used, was taking up valuable space, so this reorganisation has banished the jointer, thicknesser and other tools to another shed. They will, in due course, be setup and still available when needed.

This has allowed my turning room to be organised and also the other back room will have a dedicated sharpening station as well as the drill press, band saw and SCMS.

Photos 1 -3 show the revamped turning room from left to right, photos 4 & 5 show the other back room and finally the remaining photos show the main workshop from left to right again around the room.

I apologize that the main workshop is not as clean as the rest but I've only just managed to clear the main workbench. :2tsup:

Peter.

wheelinround
30th July 2011, 05:48 PM
In another life Peter was surgeon or a sterile room worker :p Peter its one of the first sheds I saw when I joined this forum and I am still impressed:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ray

springwater
30th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Looks like a work of utter contentment, onya Sturdee! :2tsup:

Sturdee
30th July 2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys for your kind comments. I do like using my workshop, especially the turning area. Did some turning yesterday and today, first time since the revamp and it was great. Everything to hand and surprisingly plenty of room.

Although the winter hasn't been kind, I haven't had to use the workshop heaters, as it is kind of insulated with the backrooms having two layers of 12 mm foam interlocking floor tiles and an anti fatigue mat in front of the lathe.

the other back room will have a dedicated sharpening station

Tomorrow some work on the sharpening station, need to mount the on/off switch of the wet grinder to the front of the cabinet and mount a Tormek BGM unit for the dry grinder.

BTW the cabinet was another scrounged unit, formerly a bathroom sink cabinet.:D

Peter.

Sturdee
30th July 2011, 08:27 PM
In another life Peter was surgeon or a sterile room worker :p
Ray

Ray I used to be a bean counter. :D

Peter.

wun4us
30th July 2011, 11:28 PM
Knew it...that accounts for all the glass jars and little jigger-me-bob placcy hurdy gurdies on the wall for putting many little beans in!!!!!:cool:

Christos
31st July 2011, 10:14 AM
yeah you can tell you are very organized.

Sturdee
31st July 2011, 01:19 PM
.that accounts for all the glass jars

I used to have glass jars but when I dropped them they broke, not very good in a workshop. So I use the bottom half of the 2 litre apple juice containers, amazing how many you get with only drinking a small glass at breakfast. :D

They are a good size, easy to see what they contain, cheap and don't break when you drop them. :2tsup:

Peter.

wun4us
1st August 2011, 12:47 AM
I used to have glass jars but when I dropped them they broke, not very good in a workshop. So I use the bottom half of the 2 litre apple juice containers, amazing how many you get with only drinking a small glass at breakfast. :D

They are a good size, easy to see what they contain, cheap and don't break when you drop them. :2tsup:

Peter.

Good idea Peter, I'll keep that in mind, I have the same problem with the glass jars...not very nice trying to pickup many little panel pins from the shards and splinters of glass!!

Barry

Sturdee
9th August 2011, 05:47 PM
Started on converting the bookcase in Storage area 1 to proper solid shelving to take smaller pieces.

This bookcase, together with 3 other ones, I bought when I was in my 20's and have done sterling service, first as ordinary bookcase then converted into built in bar display shelves and now into it's ultimate use in the timber store.

Made from pine with plywood back it has stood the test of time and has paid for itself many times over.:2tsup:

I decided to strengthen the shelves by inserting a solid back and sides, then adding extra sides and finally doubling the shelves by nailing another to it. Maybe over engineering but as I'm using up old timber and recycled chipboard the extra materials was free.

Also using nailguns means that the labour is not too hard. :D

Picture 1 is the old bookcase before starting today.

Picture 2 shows the back and sides for supporting the first shelf.

Photo 3 shows it nailed in position, together with the extra side supports and shelf nailed onto it and photo 4 shows a close up.

Peter.

Sturdee
9th August 2011, 05:54 PM
As the shelf for the next one was removed the photos are a bit clearer.

Photo 1 shows the back and side nailed into the bookcase.

Photo 2 shows the extra sides.

Photo 3 is the first layer of the shelf nailed in. and photo 4 shows the second layer nailed to the first.

Finally photo 5 shows all the shelves done.

This part is now ready for use. The width of the finished shelves are 800 * 230mm with varying heights and will be good to store smaller pieces.

Next the deeper shelves next to it.

Peter.

Sturdee
10th August 2011, 04:08 PM
Between the back wall and the bookcase I allowed for further shelves . The area is 1150 * 310mm, so after allowing for the shelf side supports it gives a usable area of 950 * 310mm.

I had already built the base so it was only a matter of building the shelves. The shelves I built about a year ago on the other side have proved to be very strong I'm using the same method for the new ones.

This involves building the two side supports using pine framing timber, then using more framing timber across and installing a melamine shelf. Then repeat until finished. A simple build as I can build most in the workshop and then nail it together on site in the wood store.

So Photo 1 shows the are with the base installed.

Photo 2 shows one of the side supports and photo 3 shows the MDF sheets nailed on to prevent racking.

Photo 4 shows the framing shelve support and photo 5 shows the shelf installed.

Finally photos 6 & 7 show the complete unit and the two sets of shelves completing the right wall.

Next will be the finishing of, finishing the ceiling and then the back wall.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
10th August 2011, 11:31 PM
Pretty good

but it looks like someone is coming along behind and putting stuff on them :doh:

Sturdee
10th August 2011, 11:42 PM
Pretty good

but it looks like someone is coming along behind and putting stuff on them :doh:

As I build them I'm using them to store the timber and blanks that I've got stacked away in all kinds of places in my workshop. These shelves, just made, are already full and I haven't finished taking it all out of the workshop, let alone the stuff stored in the garden shed or the garage.

I need all the shelving in area 1 and 2 to cover what I've got and the last and biggest area will be for further collecting.

Peter.

Christos
11th August 2011, 12:55 AM
Looking good and for future collection that's always fun.

Sturdee
11th August 2011, 04:46 PM
Did a bit more today, leveled the floor and used the surplus Lilydale topping to cover and level the floor in the next area.

I also blocked of the gaps above the shelves as per photo 1 and fixed up the back wall as per photo 2. Using old doors, of course. :D

Gave it all a good cleanup and tomorrow I'll put the steel shelving unit I also rescued against the back wall.

After that I'll make a door to close this store from the elements and the first part will be finished.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
11th August 2011, 05:13 PM
Peter

I've another solution for your storage problems :D

but then I'll need more storage - so can you come up here and build me some. Come to think of it I need more storage now :doh:

Sturdee
11th August 2011, 05:22 PM
.......so can you come up here and build me some.

I was up at Canberra last week for a little holiday, and that was enough travelling for a while. So, regrettably,you're out of luck.:U

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
11th August 2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah
Canberra does do that to people :~

Christos
11th August 2011, 08:01 PM
After that I'll make a door to close this store from the elements and the first part will be finished.

What! :o Your making a door? :innocent:

munruben
11th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Coming along nicely; great transformation taking place. :2tsup::2tsup:

Sturdee
11th August 2011, 11:26 PM
What! :o Your making a door? :innocent:

May seem strange but the kind of door that I want to close this area of is different from the internal doors that I've collected for the walls etc.

I want a semi open slatted timber type door that will still provide adequate ventilation. Amongst the things I collected for this project is a timber bed base that with a little bit of cutting and fixing will do the job perfectly.

Peter.

Robson Valley
12th August 2011, 04:25 AM
I think Sturdee is faking it all. The lighting is far too high quality for a shed/shop.
What have you got for lights? I must be working in a cave by torchlight.

Sturdee
12th August 2011, 09:57 AM
I think Sturdee is faking it all. The lighting is far too high quality for a shed/shop.
What have you got for lights? I must be working in a cave by torchlight.

If you're referring to the workshop photos I have plenty of fluorescents and of course the ceiling and walls are painted white to reflect the light.

The main part has 2 double 4' and 4 single 2' lights and the back part has 4 single 4' and 2 single 2'. Might be a bit more than others but I can easily see. :U But I still forget and loose things. :~

The wood storage areas is all taken with natural day light and the inbuilt flash on my little camera.

Peter.

Sturdee
12th August 2011, 03:01 PM
Nailed the steel shelving unit against the back wall, this completes the shelves in this section. So I have full lengths shelving along the sides and back walls.

Peter.

Sturdee
12th August 2011, 03:10 PM
As mentioned the door to close this area of is to be made of an old pine bed bunk base.

The door is slightly to wide but the right height and the openings between the slats is to big, see photo 1.

So I cut the base to size and nailed in a diagonal cross brace and extra slats. This extra timber is also recycled. Working on it in photo 2.

Photo 3 & 4 show the door installed and finally photo 5 after a first coat of fence paint to match.

All materials used was recycled, except for the nails and paint.:D I'm happy with the way the first area turned out as this was the more challenging one to do.

Next the adjacent store no 2. Hope you are enjoying the journey, any comments, questions and ideas are always welcome.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
12th August 2011, 05:27 PM
When you bring the surplus wood to my place can you bring the nail gun up as well :D

Sturdee
12th August 2011, 05:31 PM
When you bring the surplus wood to my place can you bring the nail gun up as well :D

Just that one or the other two as well? :D

Peter.

wheelinround
13th August 2011, 08:42 AM
Peter you have been busy since I last stuck my head over the fence even with the heckling from the sawdustcreator :U who you'd think would be inspired and get on with his bench WiP. so he would have room for the spare wood.:roll:

Sturdee
13th August 2011, 04:01 PM
This storage area has given me 17 metres of shelf space of various depths and height, but unfortunately it's not enough as it's already quite full as per photos below. They are taken from L to R. It has taken all the accumulated wood from the workshop and garden shed.

I can now get at the garden tools :~ and have no excuse not to mow the nature strip.

So I'll have to get onto the next stage of the project so that I can start sorting out the garage and not fall over all the stacked timber in there.

Peter.

Sturdee
13th August 2011, 04:03 PM
Peter you have been busy since I last stuck my head over the fence even with the heckling from the sawdustcreator :U who you'd think would be inspired and get on with his bench WiP. so he would have room for the spare wood.:roll:

You'd think that he would get on with it, but I suppose he hasn't got a nailgun. :U

Peter.

Sturdee
14th August 2011, 04:25 PM
Storage area no 2 was originally the actual chook shed of the integrated group of buildings, whereas Storage No 1 was the food store, prep area and housed the egg collection box.

This shed measures approx 1400 * 2100 8 1800 mm high at the front and sloping slightly to the back.

This shed will be lined with the doors I collected so I will loose approx 75mm all round, which will still give good storage.

The plan is to build fixed shelves along the two side walls, one will be deeper than the other, and install another freestanding bookcase, also from my favourite kerbside store :D, against the back wall.

The two window openings/air vents will be closed of with some ply and painted to match and the big opening in the door will be closed of with slats similar to the other door.

Here are some photos before I start. Photo 1 is the Left wall, No 2 is the back wall, No 3 is the right wall, and photos 4 & 5 is the inside of the front wall.

Peter.

Sturdee
14th August 2011, 04:31 PM
Today I bolted pine framing rails to all the walls, so that the door panels can be nailed on. I also fixed the prewiring for the light in this store and pulled the line through for the next one.

I also cut and laid out the treated pine for the base of the doors and the bottom shelves, so that they will not be in contact with the lilydale toppings.

The big gaps in the left wall and the back wall will be covered with the door panelling, so no extra work is now required before the actual construction starts.

Some photos to show the work so far.

Peter.

Sturdee
16th August 2011, 04:53 PM
It was a lovely day outside so this morning I first did some gardening in the backyard and after lunch I collected some more MDF sheets from Springwater. Thanks Craig, much appreciated.

But after I got home I couldn't resist doing some work on the shed storage project. :U

Sp I started on the wall covering, cut four doors to size and nailed them into position. Already it's starting to look better. as half the shed is done.

The left wall, with the big hole where the egg laying boxes were, is now covered as well as the inside of the front wall. As with all old garden sheds nothing is square or straight so in the corners there will be gaps.

Not a problem as these gaps in the corners will be covered by the shelving supports and be hidden from view.

Some photos attached to show progress.

Peter.

Sturdee
18th August 2011, 04:43 PM
Another mainly fine day and more progress.

Decided that it would be easier to bolt the top and bottom rails straight onto the tin walls whilst still uncovered, rather than use coach screws into the other battens at a later stage. So that was done first.

I then cut and nailed the doors onto the other two sides. Photos 1 & 2 show the back wall and photo 3 shows the side wall. It is now starting to look like a storage area as all the crappy tin and holes therein are now covered.

Made and laid down the bottom base shelves on both the left side (photo 4) and the right side (photo 5). You now start to get an idea of what the shed will look like.

Will start on the shelving next.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
18th August 2011, 09:50 PM
Can't say I'm happy with that ...
Didn't your mum say never to wear creams with whites :o

wheelinround
18th August 2011, 09:56 PM
:spyme: just pokin my head over the fence Peter see how its coming along Oh pre-painted panels nice. still no wood in there yet.:;

Sturdee
18th August 2011, 11:09 PM
Can't say I'm happy with that ...
Didn't your mum say never to wear creams with whites :o

Neither am I, I wish people wouldn't paint their doors cream before disposing of them.

White is my preferred colour but sometimes you have to take what is there.:U

Peter.

Sturdee
18th August 2011, 11:10 PM
still no wood in there yet.:;

That will come Ray when the shelving starts.

Peter.

Sturdee
21st August 2011, 03:54 PM
Been building the side shelves for the last few days.

As the sheds were originally planned to be just a chooks shed, they were placed on the sloping ground without trying to make them level. It didn't look out of place and it was a lot less work at the time.

The chooks didn't mind but now it has been causing some difficulties as I want the shelves level and not following the original countour of the land.

So each shelf has to be measured separately and built, before doing the one on top. Bit of a pain in the proverbial as the number of walks to and from the workshop to the end of the garden has increased.

Measure in the shed, then go back and cut materials in the shop and back again, etc. :~ So the top of the left side is narrower than at the bottom and on the other side the opposite.

So here are the photos, the first is the left hand side and the other the other side.

Peter.

Sturdee
21st August 2011, 04:02 PM
Early this year as part of the collection for my daughter's workshop I picked up a bookcase made by IKEA. It was a solidly built unit and was thrown out to the hard rubbish. :2tsup:

We used it for storage, but not in that workshop, for a while and is no longer needed for that so it is finding a new home in this storage shed.

It will be built against the back wall between the side shelving units. It's 700mm * 300mm and 1600mm high. A goodly size and all it needs is the shelving supported rather than rely on a few shelf supports.

Photo 1 shows it and photo 2 in its location ready for nailing in position and strengthening the shelves support.

Hopefully I'll finish this part of the wood store next week.

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2011, 09:09 PM
is it you photography or do the shelves have a slight dip to starboard :p

Sturdee
21st August 2011, 11:00 PM
is it you photography or do the shelves have a slight dip to starboard :p

Must be my photography as the shelves are level (or very close to it) but all the walls, roof and ground is at various angles.

Peter.

randmcnelly
28th August 2011, 09:39 PM
I can now get at the garden tools :~ and have no excuse not to mow the nature strip.

Peter.

HEY YEAH!!! What about that mowing...? it's looking quite shabby out there at the moment... do you want me to come and take a photo to put up so everyone can see you're not as tidy as they think you are ;)

But the woodstores are looking mighty fine, and everything nicely laid out so I can come and take at my leisure!

Michelle.

springwater
28th August 2011, 09:54 PM
HEY YEAH!!! What about that mowing...? it's looking quite shabby out there at the moment... do you want me to come and take a photo to put up so everyone can see you're not as tidy as they think you are ;)

It's fashionable to keep your grass longer this year, shabby is the new black :cool:
:D

Sturdee
28th August 2011, 10:18 PM

I know, but I thought that you would do it whilst I'm poorly with the dreaded lurgy :( and what strength I have is directed to getting the back bench in the turning area ready for my fathers day present, being a mini lathe to go with the big one. :2tsup:

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
28th August 2011, 10:21 PM
I know, but I thought that you would do it whilst I'm poorly with the dreaded lurgy :( and what strength I have is directed to getting the back bench in the turning area ready for my fathers day present, being a mini lathe to go with the big one. :2tsup:

Peter.

Good luck with that :2tsup:

Sturdee
17th October 2011, 03:49 PM
As my turning area is finished, at least for the time being :D, the dreaded lurgy went and then came back and is slowly going away, the grass is cut,the hedge trimmed and the weather is again fine so I started on doing some more this afternoon on the wood store.

The final area to be done has a long dog leg section behind the wood store no 2. After lining it's only 650 mm wide and is about 2100mm long as per photo no 1.

I first thought of ignoring this and closing it of but finally decided to line it and I'll build some shelving against the back and narrow shelves along one wall only.

So I started lining this section. I used one door against the back and three along one wall as per photo no 2.

I then started along the other wall as per photo no 3.

Photos are a bit bad as it's rather dark in that section, It was hard to see but later with the roof painted and a light in there it will be better.

Tomorrow I hope to finish that long wall completely and move into the main part of that area. At least I can see there. :2tsup:

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
17th October 2011, 09:42 PM
Thought of you today as I drove past a dismantled white melamine wardrobe (prob an ikea throwout),

Unfortunately I don't have a current use for it but I bet when I do there won't be any within 100km :doh:

wun4us
18th October 2011, 12:42 AM
As my turning area is finished, at least for the time being :D, the dreaded lurgy went and then came back and is slowly going away, the grass is cut,the hedge trimmed and the weather is again fine so I started on doing some more this afternoon on the wood store.

The final area to be done has a long dog leg section behind the wood store no 2. After lining it's only 650 mm wide and is about 2100mm long as per photo no 1.

I first thought of ignoring this and closing it of but finally decided to line it and I'll build some shelving against the back and narrow shelves along one wall only.

So I started lining this section. I used one door against the back and three along one wall as per photo no 2.

I then started along the other wall as per photo no 3.

Photos are a bit bad as it's rather dark in that section, It was hard to see but later with the roof painted and a light in there it will be better.

Tomorrow I hope to finish that long wall completely and move into the main part of that area. At least I can see there. :2tsup:

Peter.

A veritable rabbit warren Peter; will you ever find the wood you are looking for when you need it?:rolleyes:

Sturdee
18th October 2011, 09:17 AM
I think I will. :D :D :D

Just look at my workshop with a spot for everything and everything in its own spot.

When it's all finished I'll organise everything along like with likes, small stuff all together, dried blanks for bowls together, stuff for spindle turning together and timber still drying out.

It will be an organised walk in timber store. :2tsup:

Peter.