PDA

View Full Version : reasonable Timber yard in Gold Coast??

inaminit
20th December 2004, 11:53 PM
Hi all,

Just joined the Forum today and already got a heap of usefull info!!

A couple of years ago we bought a 20 odd year old timber pole home which looks like the previous owners had never heard of the word "maintenence", so I have my work cut out for me being my first ever renovation.

Anyway, the very attractive pinkish terracotta painted (or as my aunty calls it, nipple pink) treated pine balcony deck is lifting due to it being laid at 45's to the joists, and about the only thing holding the oregon railings and posts together is the paint!! Thankfully everything under the decking boards is still in pretty good nick.

We want to replace the decking boards with hardwood (about 485 metres), the posts (4x3600) with treated pine, and the railings (about 18 metres) with treated pine and a hardwood top rail cover.

So far, the best price I've been able to get is almost $3,500 for just the timber....OUCH!!!!!

If anyone knows where I could get good priced timber on the Gold Coast, or nearby areas would be a huge help.

Thanks.

seriph1
21st December 2004, 09:47 PM
we have a miller who works on the north coast NSW on this forum I believe ...... maybe put a call out for his help, if he doesnt see this

:D

and.... a big welcome top the forum, hope you love it as much as I do!

:D

Des.K.
21st December 2004, 11:25 PM
Since I gained enough confidence to move beyond Bunnies pine for woodworking, I've bought quite a bit of timber from Midcoast Timbers on Central Drive West Burleigh, including a lot of kwila for a deck I've almost finished. I don't know how their prices compare to other timber yards - they may be cheaper or more expensive, but for me they're handy (about 5-10 mins away) and very helpful. No complaints from me at all.

To give you some idea, the decking (kwila 90x19) cost $3.80/m.

Regards
Des

inaminit
22nd December 2004, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'm amased at how helpful these forums are!!

Des, Midcoast are not far from me either (Elanora). I actually drove up there yesterday, but they had closed by the time I got there. Hopefully I'll be able to leave work a bit early tomorrow. $3.80/m for kwila seems pretty good! So far the best price I've found was $4.20/m!!! That should save a hundred or two!

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

inaminit
22nd December 2004, 11:07 PM
Des, thanks again for the tip on Midcoast Timbers.

I called in and had a good old chat with them this afternoon. They were extremely helpfull. They had some beautiful Northern Box with fantastic colour variations which will look brilliant on the deck! Worked out 35cents/metre cheaper too!

The only problem is they were closing in 10 minutes for xmas, so I wont get delivery until 10 January!!

Thanks again

Des.K.
23rd December 2004, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear. All the staff were helpful and more than willing to patiently answer the endless stream of seemingly dopey questions I had. I saw the Northern Box when I bought some timber to make a cabinet - beautiful stuff but a bit too heavy for what I wanted. It should look really good on your deck and will probably last forever.

Regards
Des

reeves
23rd December 2004, 03:20 PM
woodworld at labradorr r pretty gopod.

there a nice yard at Rocklea, cant think of the name but they ar eon the left as u turn off the freeway.

cheap and they have Kwila, pine and basic building stuff etc.

Alis try Mullumbimby timber works

cheeeeeeers

inaminit
23rd December 2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks Reeves, I'll give them a try.