PDA

View Full Version : Suitable begginer's lathes

TruckieMuzz
1st July 2011, 01:22 AM
G'day all,
Just a general question on behalf of my dear old dad! Some time ago he bought a used wood lathe to start his stellar career as a woodturner. It has since been used once (by my brother to try and turn some fishing lures!!) as dad is not real confident given the enormous size and mass of this thing. From memory it stands about 1.2m high on its cast iron stand.

Markings are:
Tanner W/L Model FG100
spindle speed 460 830 12.50 2100 3100
Station Rd. Penrose AUK NZ
(or something like that, I'll get better details if required)

I will get some photos, next time I'm down, there to post.

Dad is still keen to dabble, so my question is that is such a large lathe a suitable starting point for a beginner, or should we try to get him onto something a bit smaller (or is it one of those times that size just doesn't matter??). If something smaller is more practical then suggestions appreciated. Also, would it be worth offloading the giant to subsidise the new purchase if required, or is it likely to be like walkmen, beta video and corkscrews - nostalgic, useful to a few but not really saleable?

Any advice / comment would be appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation...

Cheers and beers,

Muzz:D

Paul39
1st July 2011, 05:24 AM
TruckieMuzz,

If your dad only wants to do pens, it might be a bit too big.

I can't find the FG100 but the one I do (SB-165) is a nice stout lathe.

If he is afraid of it, he might benefit by a bit of instruction on a smaller lathe, then move to his at the slow speed with small pieces of wood.

It would help if we knew his interests: bowls, spindles, pens, porch posts, or sized things that need a crane to get in and out of the lathe.

As most turners are looking for ever larger, heavier lathes a trade might be arranged.

Photos will help if it is an older lathe.

RETIRED
1st July 2011, 08:36 AM
The Tanner is a good lathe.

I would do as Paul suggested and get him some lessons or join a club.

It is far easier to do small work on a big lathe than to do large work on a small lathe as they are more rigid.

Where does he live?

Byc
1st July 2011, 10:51 AM
Once he gets some instruction and if he likes turning then he will most likely want the larger lathe. He can learn a lot in this forum and u tube as well but one on one instruction such as in a club is the best to get started.

bellyup
1st July 2011, 12:31 PM
I can't find your model either but the other Tanner lathes look like solid quality - if you have the room it will probably do everything you could ask.

maņana
1st July 2011, 05:14 PM
I have had a Tanner FS100C lathe for some 16 years and can't fault it. The only regret I have is that finances did not allow at the time of purchase to buy the FS100JVS variable speed model. I also bought a Tanner 14 inch Bandsaw at the same time - good, heavy cast-iron construction. Unfortunately Tanner of NZ has gone out of business. I would say that the lathe is equal to Tough or Woodfast lathes of the period. As suggested, get your dad to have a few lessons and then enjoy the hobby.
maņana<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Paul39
2nd July 2011, 02:23 AM
I have had a Tanner FS100C lathe for some 16 years and can't fault it. The only regret I have is that finances did not allow at the time of purchase to buy the FS100JVS variable speed model.maņana<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

If you get a 3 phase motor of the same frame and shaft size size as your existing and a variable frequency drive, you would have the variable speed. The same frame and shaft size would make it a direct replacement.

In the USA 3 phase motors at scrap yards are cheap. I bought an almost new 3 phase 1 HP 120 volt motor for $15 and a new Teco VFD for $140.

Do a little research. Here are some references:

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/)

Adjustable Frequency Drive, Teco VFD, Phase Converter, Variable Phase Output (http://www.dealerselectric.com/mfg-subcat-item.asp?cID=28&scID=164&mID=-1)

maņana
2nd July 2011, 09:28 PM
G'Day Paul
Converting my Tanner lathe to variable speed is one of those things I'm "gunna do" one of these days. There are numerous posts on this Forum giving advice on how to do this - maybe I'll do it - maņana.
Thanks
Mick C<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

TruckieMuzz
3rd July 2011, 11:21 PM
Thankyou gents,

By way of updates, I have been talking it over with dad. The decision has been made, the lathe is going, whether or not it is replaced at a later date is still to be seen.

Now, moderators - please don't strike me down with a bolt of lightening for asking this question - how do I go about ascertaining a fair value for the lathe? Can anyone help? (I think he paid about $2000 for it - is that the right ball park?).

Once I get this sorted I'll list it here, location is Kiama NSW.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions,

Cheers and beers,

RETIRED
3rd July 2011, 11:28 PM
Now, moderators - please don't strike me down with a bolt of lightening for asking this question -Couldn't resist.

Paul39
4th July 2011, 07:06 AM
Thankyou gents,

By way of updates, I have been talking it over with dad. The decision has been made, the lathe is going, whether or not it is replaced at a later date is still to be seen.

Now, moderators - please don't strike me down with a bolt of lightening for asking this question - how do I go about ascertaining a fair value for the lathe? Can anyone help? (I think he paid about $2000 for it - is that the right ball park?).

Once I get this sorted I'll list it here, location is Kiama NSW.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions,

Cheers and beers,

My rule of thumb when buying, assuming in good working order, 1/2 of new. Some will pay more for pretty, some will pay less for rusty & ugly.

Last year I paid US$850 for a 15 year old, 20 inch swing, short bed Woodfast variable speed. It was rusty with faceplate stuck on spindle and center stuck in tail stock. Bearings were fine. In one week end I took it all to pieces, cleaned it up, unstuck the faceplate and center, lubricated and polished it, and put it back together.

I think yours was compared to the old Woodfast.

You might pay a machinery dealer for an appraisal.

Ebay will get the best price if there is enough interest. You can set a minimum bid to cover yourself. Buyers are wary of sellers who do not have a number of sales of the type offered.

Good luck on the sale, someone is going to get a good lathe.

turnerted
4th July 2011, 05:44 PM
TruckieMuzz
Suggest to your dad that he comes along to Kiama Woodcraft Group meetings held 4th wednesday of the month at the high school . Also the group will be demonstrating various woodworking skills for the local men's shed on 6/7 . PM me if you would like details .
Ted

TruckieMuzz
4th July 2011, 10:09 PM
My rule of thumb when buying, assuming in good working order, 1/2 of new. Some will pay more for pretty, some will pay less for rusty & ugly.

Last year I paid US$850 for a 15 year old, 20 inch swing, short bed Woodfast variable speed. It was rusty with faceplate stuck on spindle and center stuck in tail stock. Bearings were fine. In one week end I took it all to pieces, cleaned it up, unstuck the faceplate and center, lubricated and polished it, and put it back together.

I think yours was compared to the old Woodfast.

You might pay a machinery dealer for an appraisal.

Ebay will get the best price if there is enough interest. You can set a minimum bid to cover yourself. Buyers are wary of sellers who do not have a number of sales of the type offered.

Good luck on the sale, someone is going to get a good lathe.

Paul, thanks very much, sounds like fair and balanced advice! Ted, I'll PM you.

Cheers and beers,

TruckieMuzz
4th July 2011, 10:16 PM

good on yer.........

Cheers and beers,

vtbao
6th July 2011, 12:15 AM
TruckieMuzz,

I asked myself the same question, big or small lathe. After join the turning club, learn few lessons, I decided to get the big and good quality one.
Still depend on his interests to work on big or small piece.
Unless you have large garage, get 2 types

Good luck!