PDA

View Full Version : Great Wooden Railway

bj383ss
1st July 2011, 12:28 PM
After reading Elderly post I thought of a really awesome website I dont know if everyone has seen. It is called the Great Wooden Railway. Great Wooden Railway (http://www.greatwoodenrailway.nl/). His website is not in English but I went through his pics of his trains. I love the EMD's he has built. When I get time I want to try and replicate his results. He is also on this website it has better pictures. Wooden Toy Makers—Ricardo Heijmans (http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Heijmans.htm)

Here is a youtube video of the trains actually in motion.
YouTube - ‪Eurospoor 2010 part 1 - Great Wooden Railway‬‏

Later,
Bret

Ozkaban
1st July 2011, 12:44 PM
wow :o

Just beautiful :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Byc
1st July 2011, 01:21 PM
very impressive

STAR
1st July 2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for showing Bret.

It is great that you contribute so much to our Toy Site. The good thing about our little corner here is that it is starting to gather an International flavour and that can only help us all.

:2tsup:

Pete

crowie
2nd July 2011, 10:34 AM
That's a top find Bret, thank you.
Are you considering a train for your next project?
Cheers, crowie

bj383ss
2nd July 2011, 10:59 AM
Crowie,

I do want to build a train next. I have not built a scale model train yet so I am very excited to build one. I have plans from Gatto Plans ://www.gattoplans.com/store/train_27.htm (http://www.gattoplans.com/store/train_27.htm).
It is the 1949 Reading Railroad Steam Locomotive. However realistcally I wont be able to start on it for sometime.

All projects have been put on hold as I have to build a playhouse for my oldest son's birthday which is Aug.1st he is turning 5 and he loves to build make believe houses out of anything and everything. So my wife andI decided instead of buying one of those $150 plastic ones I could build him a really cool one out of plywood and his mom is going to paint it. So I have just a month to build it. Which equates to only 8 days of between now and then.

Also I think I have figured out how to make scale wheels for the Mack so I want to work on that as well.

Later,
Crowie

crowie
2nd July 2011, 12:14 PM
You're one clever & talanted bloke, Bret.
I'll watch & wait for the postings on the "cubby house" and the train.
Cheers, crowie

crowie
2nd July 2011, 04:31 PM
My goodness me.
All made from wood.
Magnificant!!
Rivals the Wunderland in Germany.
Cheers, crowie

STAR
2nd July 2011, 10:51 PM
Bret.

You and I have got something in common. You have a son about to turn 5 in August and i have a grandson about to turn 5 on the 15th of this month July.

He is what got me interested in making toys but I feel as he gets a bit older wooden toys will not have the same interest for him so I will have to come up with something that is suitable for older children.

I was going to post a thread about my future delima, but I have to finish a few projects first. and get his birthday present finished by the 10 th which really only gives me a few days because of other commitments.

Pete

bj383ss
4th July 2011, 01:03 PM
Pete,

I know what you mean by them growing up and not being interested. My boys love to be in the shop with me. I let them come in when Im not running any of the saws. My plan is to spend as much time with them showing them how to make stuff and hopefully I will be able to pass it on. I truly believe that is how my hands on came to be.

My Pa(mom's dad) owned a Machine & Welding shop. My dad, mom, and Ma(mom's mother) all worked at the shop. We even lived in house that was on the property until I was 7. So I spent nearly everyday in the shop with my Pa or dad. When I was 6 my Pa had me pulling weeds, painting fences, and sweeping in the shop. I got paid $2.00 a day and on Friday I would go to the bank with him and put it in my savings account. I worked for him until I was 16 when he decided to retire. I did not know at the time but he was teaching me everything he knew and how to build and create stuff with your hands. He was larger than life to me and to this day I still miss him.

Sorry for the long reply,
Bret

munruben
4th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Terrific video :2tsup:

drivesafe
17th July 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Bret and that’s one fantastic video.

Thanks for the link.