PDA

View Full Version : Planning - Sketchup concept

q9
1st July 2011, 07:44 PM
Having a bit of a play with Sketchup and having a bit of a think about a small wooden structure to get all the gardening stuff and the cement mixer out of my workshop...

Nominal dimensions are 2800X2800X2000 so it should fit under the need for planning permission :)

Contruction to be concrete pad, cyprus frame wrapped in sarking/plastic, with perhaps cedar weatherboards, undecided on what to use as roofing. Tile/slate perhaps...? If I get excited I'll build a window too.

Anyhow, at the "thinking about it" stage...

joe greiner
2nd July 2011, 12:03 AM
If it's already at maximum height for permission, I'd reduce the height of the door so that the lintel is thick enough for adequate bearing at its ends. That's where the shear force is greatest and yours looks too weak. If that would make the opening too low, you might strengthen the ends with corbels on the jambs, to reach further under the lintel. Alternatively, make the door opening narrower to achieve the same objective. Small stuff can be stored behind the sidewall end returns. If the door opening is about half the inside width, two sliding doors could lodge behind the sidewall end returns, and would be simpler to hang vs. hinged mounts.

Cheers,
Joe

q9
2nd July 2011, 12:42 AM
Yes, I think the current returns are too narrow, just from a practical storing stuff on the sides point of view, from memory I bunged those in at 200 and I think I'd happily increase that, or in fact put in a single door. Actually no, I want 2 doors for effect, but I guess I'll have to do a quick chalk outline on my shed floor to see what makes sense, and it'll help visualise the stuff that is actually going to go in there.

My plan is to prefab the sides in my workshop and bolt them together in-situ.

Cheers for the feed back!

SAISAY
16th September 2011, 01:22 PM
Nominal dimensions are 2800X2800X2000 so it should fit under the need for planning permission :)

Lucky you.
Here we even need planning permission for a tiny generator shed.
Council's reasoning:
"If it has a roof it is a building" :(
Cheers