PDA

View Full Version : parketry

Vanelli
22nd December 2004, 09:23 AM
G'Day,

I remember seeing a few years back a show on TV about a guy that made his own parketry using slices of a tree trunk. It was a trunk with an irregular shape, which, when puzzled onto the floor created a very interesting effect. I plan to do the same thing myself. The bad part is that I cannot find any reference back to that show and am a complete novice in this area.
Is anybody able to point me to such a reference, or could advice with regards to things such as:
-does the type of wood matter? How about Cyprus pine?
-how/where could I cut the slices?
-what sort of underlayer would one use?
-what sort of filler would be the most appropriate?
-what sort of primer should be used to reduce absorption and preserve the natural look of the wood?

Any other hints or pieces of information shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vanelli

Slavo
22nd December 2004, 01:47 PM
In a recent issue of FWW there was an article about this where a guy cut thin slices of a branch on his bandsaw, dried them in a press to keep them flat and used them in a cabinet as a feature (called oystering - I think)

himzol
22nd December 2004, 02:47 PM
In a recent issue of FWW there was an article about this where a guy cut thin slices of a branch on his bandsaw, dried them in a press to keep them flat and used them in a cabinet as a feature (called oystering - I think)

Slavo,

How did he stop them from spliting? or didn't he?

Himzo

Vanelli
22nd December 2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the pointer, but indulge my ignorance, what is FWW?

Barry_White
22nd December 2004, 07:37 PM
Fine Wood Working magazine.

outback
22nd December 2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the pointer, but indulge my ignorance, what is FWW?
I thought it was F(insert rude word) wheres wally.

Slavo
23rd December 2004, 09:01 AM
Slavo,

How did he stop them from spliting? or didn't he?

Himzo
Himzo, It's in FWW #169, p106. I think he lightly sprayed them with water before he put them in the press, which kept them flat while they dried. I dont have the mag on me at the moment but I will check when I get home. The back page had a photo of the cabinet, it's quite a unique look.
Slavo

Vanelli
23rd December 2004, 10:39 AM
Slavo,

Thanks for following up. Where could one find a copy of the magazine you mentioned, or at least of the article? As I said I am completly new to this field.

Thanks

Slavo
24th December 2004, 09:02 AM
Vanelli,
Check your local library and if they dont have it ask them to organise an inter library loan. Or you could visit Fine Woodworking (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp) and order a backissue. As you are new to this field I would recommend finding some good books on Veneering, marquetry/parquetry, and inlay techniques. They will probably be focussed on box & furniture making but I think the techniques would be adaptable. Once again the local library is a good starting point or there are a number of woodworking book stores on the internet. Or you could ask your local timber flooring person if they are familiar with this technique.
Slavo