PDA

View Full Version : Make V belt pullies

morrisman
3rd July 2011, 04:00 PM
I found this useful when i had to make a few pullies : http://www.green-trust.org/junkyardprojects/FreeHomeWorkshopPlans/MakingV-BeltPulleys.pdf

xXvapourXx
3rd July 2011, 07:04 PM
Great find Morris im sure it would helpful to alot of members including me :D

aametalmaster
10th July 2011, 12:54 PM
I make about 20 a year...Bob

morrisman
10th July 2011, 01:10 PM
nice work Bob What kind of tool do you use for the V grooves ? I used a cut off tool in the Armstrong holder , but have problems with digging in and it's a slow process for me. I made some V section pullies for a Industrial sewing machine in order to slow it down ... it worked out great . I used aluminuim stock. Mike

aametalmaster
10th July 2011, 11:33 PM
I use HSS bits for the grooves. I start with a 1/4" wide bit and plunge it straight in the full 1/2" depth. Then with the compound at 15 degrees i take some off either side until the vee is centered and the right width at the top. When i make most of the cuts my lathe is in back gear and the gib screws are pretty tight on the cross slide...Bob

Col2310
12th July 2011, 04:19 PM
nice work Bob What kind of tool do you use for the V grooves ? I used a cut off tool in the Armstrong holder , but have problems with digging in and it's a slow process for me. I made some V section pullies for a Industrial sewing machine in order to slow it down ... it worked out great . I used aluminuim stock. Mike
Hello Mike,
What specification of aluminium did you use for the pulleys?
Col

morrisman
12th July 2011, 05:59 PM
Col

As far as I know it was proper spec. turning aluminium... I bought it from that place in Greens road Dandenong ...

I need some more , a length of 1" stuff as I'm planning on making some core plugs for a old Land Rover engine . They used a weird British thread on the plugs . The old LR motors use them each end of the block as well as normal hit in welch plugs . The alloy threaded ones tend to corrode away . The motor has a alloy inlet manifold and the coolant flows through it into the block . The inlet valve is in the head and the exhaust valve is in the motor block :C Its actualy a crossflow design , advanced in some ways for its time