PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with sheetmetal STAKE bench socket?

INVENTOR
3rd July 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi all, I have a Plumb brand bench socket that is designed to hold sheet metal-working STAKES. ( I only own one stake)
The square tapered hole in the socket is not even. the square is 'out of shape'. Is this correct?
Is it deliberate ( perhaps so it allows for any irregularity in the stake?) or has it been manufactured badly? does it need to be filed more like a square?
Any help is appreciated.

pipeclay
3rd July 2011, 06:59 PM
Have you used this type of tool before?

INVENTOR
3rd July 2011, 09:28 PM
Yes, many years ago, before I got hold of my own bench socket. I can't remember their exact shape. For memory the stakes fitted neatly.

eskimo
4th July 2011, 09:38 AM
my guess is that they need to be irregular...if the stake fitted perfectly it will get stuck in the socket?

Stustoys
4th July 2011, 10:02 AM
INVENTOR,
When you put the stake in and give it a tap, does it still wobble or does it seat nicely? If it seats I wouldnt worry about it. If it wobbles about to much, that can be painful. Cant help with how to fix it if needed as I've never had to do it.

For all I know they may always grip on two corners, I've never looked that closely at the socket.

Stuart

INVENTOR
5th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately the stake I have is not much help as it is damaged, but looking at the socket, it is definitely not square and shows no signs of wear, virtually new. Being a PLUMB brand it should be OK? I have compared it to another identical unit and it looks similar but perhaps not quite as irregular. Hence the question.

For memory when using them the stakes would 'seat' and you may need to tap them free.