PDA

View Full Version : gas and oil truck

bobman 58
4th July 2011, 04:25 AM
hi heres the gas and oil truck from the toys and joys plans made from oak and walnut thanks for looking

STAR
4th July 2011, 08:35 AM
Excellent work. the standard here is getting raised while the quick simple toys are still very much appreciated.

I think we should all try to reach that standard and beyond while still not forgetting that the simple little toys made from scrap wood will lighten the hearts of many children,

A few question if I may?. How do you find the Toys and Joys plans are they simple to follow.

What equipment did you use to make the truck?

How did you put the bands around the tank. it looks impressive.

Do you know what wood you used for the various parts?

Did you make all the parts or were some supplied as a kit from Toys and Joys or elsewhere?

How many hours do you have in it?

:2tsup: Pete

artme
4th July 2011, 09:40 AM
That is a masterful truck!! Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
4th July 2011, 10:03 AM
Well done great looking truck.:2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
4th July 2011, 10:08 AM
. How do you find the Toys and Joys plans are they simple to follow.

PeteI can answer that Peter, at first glance they are quite daunting, nothing like the plans from Prime mover. They need studying quite a bit before undertaking the actual build. But of course they are quite doable.

crowie
4th July 2011, 10:21 AM
G'Day "kelrob",
What a top truck.
Beautiful detail and craftsmanship.
A job very well done.
Cheers, Crowie

Byc
4th July 2011, 10:54 AM
Very nice truck and you did a fine job . I am trying to finish up the farm to market truck which is quite a lot less detail than yours. Did you make you own wheels? If you have a method could you show it as this seems to be "How did you make your wheels month":)
Also I be awaiting the answers to Star's questions.

bj383ss
4th July 2011, 12:42 PM
Excellent Work. I have thought about buying this plan for some time. Grizzly runs it on sale every once in a while.

I too am wondering about the making of the wheels. Especially since they are similar to Budd rims which are on 90% of all trucks here at home. My guess is you drilled the holes and then elongated them with a file until they were oval. Again awesome truck! :2tsup:

Later,
Bret

scotty60
4th July 2011, 09:27 PM
Great job Kelrob it came up a treat, the bar really is getting higher and now its nearlly a production line around here. :2tsup::2tsup:

bobman 58
4th July 2011, 11:47 PM
hi thanks everyone for the kind comments the truck took roughly 40 to 50 hours to complete the tools i used to make it was band saw, pillar drill ;sander ,router ,and mostly the scroll saw. the tank was made in four sections with a 1/4 inch thick divider a 1/8 bigger than the tank to make it look like seperate sections of the tank i normally make my own wheels but these were seconds i bought from caseys in usa although they dont look like seconds. to get the cutouts on the wheels you drill 5, 3/8 holes at 72 degrees on the back of the wheel and drill just deep enough to go up to the recess in the wheel you get a template with the plans which i cut out and stick to the wheel the toys and joys plans are quite easy to follow after you have done a few but you need to study them first hope this answers some of your questions regards bob

gounthar
5th July 2011, 01:32 AM
Very nice work, would love to be a child once again.:2tsup:

STAR
5th July 2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Bob for your reply.

I like the way you described how to put the rims around the tank. I would never have thought of that.

Thanks for letting us know some helpful tips. This site is very beneficial to all of us, more so now we have participants from all over the globe. it helps keep us from coming one dimensional plus we benefit for getting advice about your suppliers etc they we would never know about.

Regards

Pete

Bryanatkinson
7th July 2011, 07:36 PM
That's fabulous. Look at the details, I can't imagine how do you put those small pieces on.

It's so detailed that we just can use it for show, but as model for education as well.

elderly
8th July 2011, 12:02 PM
Great work as usual Kelrob you certainly maintain a high standard.
Cheers Elderly.

LiliB
17th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Lovely work Kelrob
Beautiful use of timber, and my eagle eye has not detected anything that is less than perfect. Your skills are marvellous.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

wheelinround
18th July 2011, 10:44 AM
:2tsup: Nice work

Christos
20th August 2011, 09:22 AM
Nice. :2tsup:

Yonnee
20th August 2011, 11:26 AM
You are one of the ones setting the bar very high for the rest of us. Lovely work Bob. Keep them coming.