PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography

Spoonman
5th July 2011, 12:09 AM
Hi All, I am interested in trying Pyrography but the cost of the machines ($200 and up) is beyond my budget - especially for something I'm not sure i will like.
Does anyone know what the cheap ones (ones that look like soldering irons) are like? Would these actually make my first attempts at pyro frustrating and turn me off or are they OK for doing broad (i.e not fine detail) work?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim Carroll
5th July 2011, 10:00 PM
Come to our shop next week after we get back from the Adelaide wood show this weekend and Irene will run through the differnt machines and the pros and cons of the soldering types.

Once you use a dedicated machine you wont bother with the soldeing iron types.

China
5th July 2011, 11:18 PM
If there is a wood show in Adelaide this week end no one will show up as it has not been advertised, and the people at the showgrounds ( the usual venue ) do not have any knowlege of it

Jim Carroll
6th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Had a chat with the organisers this morning and they claim there has been a lot of advertising but undr the banner of Tools & More expo with the building home improvement show.

The SA woodgroup are part of the show

Should be an interesting weekend.

RETIRED
6th July 2011, 11:14 PM
Tools + More Expo - Events - AroundYou.com.au (http://www.aroundyou.com.au/events/tools-more-expo)

rogerjenkins
14th July 2011, 10:08 PM
I got a Wellar Woodburner kit, ( soldering Iron type ), from Gasweld some months ago, for $79. plus delivery, as have used several over the years, but, quickly discovered the new, " Improved, " model is harder to use than the original design, therefore have taken a deep breath and plunged in and about to purchase an Iron Core machine,( from Carbatec, Adelaide,) which is supposed to be one of the better quality woodburning tools currently available here in good old OZ., as I have heard all the local schools in this region have this particular type of woodburning machine.
Roger

Jim Carroll
14th July 2011, 11:50 PM
The Iron Core and PEM type machines use nichrome wire which can be shaped to what ever you want. There is not as much control with this type as the wire softens quickly with use.

The Razertip and Burmaster use dedicated handpeices with more solid shapes so keep their form better.

There is uses for both types so it comes down to what you want to do with the burner.

Our preferance is the hand peice units for more control and better heat control.

The Iron core are used in a lot of schools as they were the only ones available locally but this is now swinging the way of the others as people get to see them used.

Pricing is comparable across the range so no standout there.

laverned1
13th March 2018, 02:04 PM
I just purchased a soldering iron type to try learning woodburning and see if I like it. I would not consider spending big money until I tried it to see if it even interests me.

cathyarctic
18th April 2018, 12:14 PM
Hi All, I am interested in trying Pyrography but the cost of the machines ($200 and up) is beyond my budget - especially for something I'm not sure i will like.
Does anyone know what the cheap ones (ones that look like soldering irons) are like? Would these actually make my first attempts at pyro frustrating and turn me off or are they OK for doing broad (i.e not fine detail) work?

Thanks for any advice.I'm a newbie too. Started with tradeflame from bunnings($34.50). So far, it hasn't caused me any problems.
Figured I'll upgrade once I get better handle on wood burning. Good luck.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-wood-burning-kit_p5910279

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2019, 03:12 PM
Jim I so wish I were close enough. I've been haunting your website but it's not the same as holding the pen in your hand!