PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Wood

WOODbTURNER
5th July 2011, 09:38 PM
How's this for a tiger skin. It's Eucalyptus papuana or Ghost Gum. The big log (not me) is the top bit of an African Mahogany. My little Hilux full of the papuana.

Toymaker Len
6th July 2011, 12:49 AM
Wow, E. Papuana goes straight onto the list. That would make a stunning dining table.

dr4g0nfly
6th July 2011, 08:41 AM
Oh Pretty, hope you've some good shocks on that poor Hilux though!

Byc
6th July 2011, 09:39 AM
Very nice wood. Do you just find this stuff alongside the road or did you buy the log?

artme
6th July 2011, 09:46 AM
Now that is worth skiting about!! Lucky you!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
6th July 2011, 10:52 AM
Very nice wood. Do you just find this stuff alongside the road or did you buy the log?

Murray,

Someone dumped it outside our local rubbish dump gates I suppose so he didn't have to pay a dumping fee. If only he saw what was under the bark. If I can con my judo champ son to help lift, I'll try and get some more.

Paul39
6th July 2011, 11:57 AM
Get that big crotch for bowls if you can manage. What a find!!

Byc
6th July 2011, 09:38 PM
Woodbturner
You certainly lucked out then. You should get the local municipality to move the log to your place. They may just to get rid of it.
I will like to see the items you make from this.

Christos
7th July 2011, 12:15 PM
Interesting.

WOODbTURNER
7th July 2011, 03:43 PM
How do you hide two ute and two trailer loads of timber from the missus? Also just been contacted by a friend who wants to get rid of a big lot of Gmelina aka Malay white beech or white teak up to 750mm dia. Will post photos later.

WOODbTURNER
21st July 2011, 05:07 PM
How do you hide two ute and two trailer loads of timber from the missus? Also just been contacted by a friend who wants to get rid of a big lot of Gmelina aka Malay white beech or white teak up to 750mm dia. Will post photos later.

Finally got a couple of trailer loads of Gmelina arborea and would you believe it the wife hasn't noticed the ever growing wood stack. It might cost me on our next trip overseas though.
Photos are:- 1 Gmelina logs. 2 Trailer load. 3 & 4 Gmelina bowl for wood donor. Cut four bowl blanks out of it.

Cliff Rogers
21st July 2011, 05:43 PM
...would you believe it the wife hasn't noticed the ever growing wood stack.....
Rubbish..... :rolleyes: you will pay for it. :D

RETIRED
21st July 2011, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah!! She's noticed just wait until SHE wants something.

Goes like this:

"Dear," or some other endearment, "You know that (some specific item that seems useless to us), well it is on special at the moment and I can save $300 on it."

You respond, " Do you really need it, the old one is working just fine."

"Well, you don't need that stack of timber either but you keep getting it and I really,really would like this."

You know you have lost so you get the last word in.

"Yes Dear."

dai sensei
21st July 2011, 08:59 PM
:rofl:

WOODbTURNER
21st July 2011, 10:11 PM
Good one