PDA

View Full Version : Fit for Purpose.

Anorak Bob
6th July 2011, 12:26 AM
I saved these photos a while ago. The saw was up for auction on Ebay. Not your everyday hacksaw. It is a military issue surgeon's saw from the Civil War. Armed with that knowledge, the checkering and the finger hole make sense. Grizzly stuff but still a thing of functional beauty.

BT

RayG
6th July 2011, 02:13 AM
Hi BT,

Every so often a surgeons saw comes up on ebay, that is misidentified as woodworking, one recently was identified as a "butchers bone saw" that was actually a surgeons saw, not that there's a whole lot of difference, some surgeons might object to being called butchers.. their patients might think otherwise.

That Gemrig looks the right type to be genuine civil war, but most surgeons saws that pop up on ebay claiming to be civil war aren't.. if they are the real deal, then they can bring a lot of money just by adding "civil war" to the description.

Good site dealing with the topic is here.. Dating antique surgical bone saws by comparative anatomy (http://www.braceface.com/medical/Articles/Dating_saws_by_comparative_anatomy.htm)

Regards
Ray

PS Grizzly is the bear, (or me before the morning coffee) you might be thinking of "grisly"

Anorak Bob
6th July 2011, 08:27 AM
PS Grizzly is the bear, (or me before the morning coffee) you might be thinking of "grisly"

I certainly was thinking grisly and I sure as hell will spell it correctly from here on in. :doh:You have me on my toes now Ray.

BT

eskimo
6th July 2011, 09:42 AM
some surgeons might object to being called butchers.. their patients might think otherwise.

T

the doctor who did the cartlidge repair on my knee was Butcher...Dr Butcher

did a great job too....:2tsup: