PDA

View Full Version : Turning bamboo countertop stock

bbinnard
6th July 2011, 05:17 AM
I recently bought my first lathe and wanted to make my first project from a piece of bamboo countertop stock. I searched for information about this type of material but could not find any. So I have posted some web pages about my initial experiences with this type of material. Here is the link: Turning Bamboo (http://www.birkbinnard.com/bamboo/)

cookie48
7th July 2011, 04:08 PM
I like the secomd one. Very nice indeed.

bellyup
7th July 2011, 04:41 PM
G'day,
You've got a nice set-up to start turning - must say I haven't seen a Delta lathe here like that one, looks good.
I reckon you'll get rid of those castor wheels on the lathe stand soon - first bit of unbalanced timber you spin will have you chasing the lathe all over the place.
If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be to get yourself a decent sharpening jig, commercially made or homemade, to hold your chisels at the correct angle against the electric grinder wheels while you rotate the chisels to get and keep a sharp edge and good profile. Looking at the photo you have with the C.T.cutter, your gouge looks (imho) tres, tres blunt. A good edge in H.S.S. will cut any hardwood or burl found here in Aus - I reckon bamboo would be no harder. There is nothing wrong with using your C.T. cutter because in the end it is the result that counts but you might find the chisels faster and more versitile as your skills increase.
Great effort, keep it up.
p.s. I like the second one more.

bbinnard
8th July 2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks for your suggestions bellyup. I do understand about about sharpening angles etc. and I did look at sharpening jigs as part of my initial setup. I was rather surprised at how expensive they were, compared to everything else, so I decided to wait and see if I could manage with just a plain grinder. The grinder I have does have adjustable tool supports so I'm thinking I should be able to match the current grind angles on the tools. If it turns out this doesn't work I can always add the sharpening jig later.

About the hardness of bamboo: the countertop material is comprised of both bamboo and glue. I read somewhere that bamboo is 4 times harder than oak. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I certainly could believe it. The countertop material is really hard stuff and I could tell my HSS tools were dulling as I used them on just my first piece. I realize I could sharpen them but the idea of spending half my time sharpening is not very appealing. Consequently I have ordered 2 more carbide tools - the square one and the 55 deg. pointy one. I expect I'll be using the HSS tools for finishing and details only.

Thanks again for your feedback. Since posting I've completed 2 more projects and I do think I am getting better at this each time.

hughie
8th July 2011, 10:01 AM
much of the problem with turning Bamboo is its silica content.

Bamboo pulping (http://www.tappsa.co.za/archive2/Journal_papers/Bamboo_pulping/bamboo_pulping.html)

artme
8th July 2011, 11:52 AM
Nice work Mr. Binnard!! Love the second one!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Darned good website. Very clearly set out.:)

Sawdust Maker
8th July 2011, 12:30 PM
I've also read somewhere that bamboo can play hell with your lungs/breathing etc so good dust extraction and breathing masks are a must

I've a small piece I've been meaning to make a pen out of

I like your platters, nice

Christos
9th July 2011, 09:01 PM
I like the second one as this seems to flow.