PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Needed To Be Used!

PEDRAS
6th July 2011, 09:18 PM
Im completing my major woodwork project for my HSC :) I have a 320 x 320 mm square chess board I made from Tasmanian Oak and Jarrah that needs to be run through a drum sander to smooth and even both sides (at the moment, both sides are uneven, i only need one side even. Sanding with a belt sander has made it all uneven on the one side). I have called many local companies, but none seem to have a drum sander. I was wondering if someone local has a drum sander and would let me run it through the sander, im willing to pay. Or if anyone has any ideas of what I can do to even out the one side of the chess board.
Thanks alot!

rod1949
6th July 2011, 09:39 PM
What did we do before drum sanders came along? We used hand tools to work timber into shape. So in order for you to learn and appreciate the skills may I suggest you use a plane to level the board. As you have already sanded it you will probably have to sharpen the plane blade a few times due to fine particals from the belt sander being embedded in the timber.

Good luck
Rod

Gaza
6th July 2011, 09:54 PM
got one, we are do a rough sand say 60G & 100G you will need to orbital to get a great finish as we use our machine for mostly rough work.

send me a PM for details.

cost will be bugger all as we can do it in about 1 min per side.

PEDRAS
6th July 2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks heaps Gaza!
And Rod, yes I should have done that traditional method, but was rushing through it, thinking I could do it with the belt sander all good, ill keep that in mind next time. Fastest may not be the best!

China
7th July 2011, 02:07 AM
With enough practice you would be able to get a satisfactory result using a belt sander,followed by a orbital or a ros sander or even by hand