PDA

View Full Version : New Member 2 New Machines to clean

ericbear
7th July 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi all Just picked up my 2 news machines HM46 Drill Mill and a AL320G Bench lathe. I believe I have to pull them down and clean all the protective coating, My question is how far do I have to pull them down? I also read that there is a lot of sand and crap left behind from the casting process is this right? any advice would be grateful.:?

Gavin Newman
8th July 2011, 08:57 AM
With the AL320G, clean all the preservative grease off all the exterior surfaces, ways etc, with kerosene then oil them up so they don't rust. Once you've run the lathe for a short period, replace the gearbox oil with 32 or 46 weight hydraulic oil.

When I had an AL320G it leaked from the headstock, if yours does this take the top cover off and check the gasket, they are made of some inferior rubber and are best replaced by one made of proper gasket material. That's about the only "gotcha" I found with that lathe.

There are quite a few scare stories about regarding the chinese lathes - remember that not everything you read on the web is true, if you are at all worried just drain the oil from the gearbox and lift the cover and have a look to set your mind at rest then get on with turning perfectly good metal into useless swarf like the rest of us.

Same goes for the mill/drill, just clean the grease off and get into making chips.