PDA

View Full Version : Weird Weather

Corunetes
22nd December 2004, 08:13 PM
Last sunday we had a VERY weird weather phenomonon here in Newcastle.......... I managed to get a couple of good pictures of the strange cloud formations.......... The colour in the oics is true to life.........Eerie yellow glow, taste of ozone........ The lot. Most surreal!

According to today's (Tuesday) paper this particular cloud formation is called 'Mammatus' According to the Herald: " The eerie cloud cast over Newcastle after Sunday night's thunderstorm was a rare sight in the Hunter Weather watch meteorologist Don White said.

Mr White said that the cloud which looked like bubbles set in a strange yellow glow were referred to mammatus cloud. "When thunderstorms build and clouds from them spread out this is called an anvil. This is usually a high level cloud that has blown off the top of a thunderstorm."

When there was turbulence at this high level the effect was bubbly cloud, similar to that seen over Newcastle on Sunday night. The fact that the storm was late in the day also contributed to the mammatus cloud .

So now you know.

AlexS
23rd December 2004, 11:36 AM
Excellent pics Peter. Pre retirement, I had a professional interest in the weather, but have only ever seen mammatus once, and not as widespread or spectacular as that. It may be worth contacting the BoM to see if they'd like to include one of your pics on their calendar - it usually has some pretty speccy shots of weather phenomena.

Alastair
23rd December 2004, 12:15 PM
Looking at the pics, and drawing on past readings, I would venture that that is not high cloud. What I have understood, is that that is the low bottom of a very high 'anvil' cloud. The effect comes from the violent wind activity taking place within the cloud. In fact, I once watched (at sea) where those 'bubbles' waxed and waned, until one actually developed into a 'funnel' which descended to the sea becoming a waterspout for a while, before returning to the cloud base.

Corunetes
23rd December 2004, 01:43 PM
It may be worth contacting the BoM to see if they'd like to include one of your pics on their calendar - it usually has some pretty speccy shots of weather phenomena.

I think that they will be OK re: pictures ..... The local newspaper photographer got some good shots also.............. If I was the BoM, I would go for the pro's shots...........................

Corunetes
23rd December 2004, 01:45 PM
Looking at the pics, and drawing on past readings, I would venture that that is not high cloud. What I have understood, is that that is the low bottom of a very high 'anvil' cloud. The effect comes from the violent wind activity taking place within the cloud. In fact, I once watched (at sea) where those 'bubbles' waxed and waned, until one actually developed into a 'funnel' which descended to the sea becoming a waterspout for a while, before returning to the cloud base.

For something so all pervasive, weather can certainly be spectacular... Mother nature's medication needs reviewing! :cool:

sailingamerican
11th January 2005, 12:23 PM
Great pictures. Ones I am going to save. Here in California we had a mountian come done on 20 homes. We have had over 20 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Normal rain fall is 14 inches for the year. More rain to come. The mid US is flooded. Europe is flooded from London to ST. Petersburg Russia. The river bleow our house has bolders the size of a VW rolling down. We are High and dry on the flat. Hope all is well in your world. We have a lot of great shots here with the mountians. Now that I have a digital I might post shots of the River which is dry in the summer. the inlaws are living in Coffs. Will be there in a month. Thanks for the pictures. Richard

Corunetes
11th January 2005, 01:26 PM
Great pictures. Ones I am going to save. Here in California we had a mountian come done on 20 homes. We have had over 20 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Normal rain fall is 14 inches for the year. More rain to come. The mid US is flooded. Europe is flooded from London to ST. Petersburg Russia. The river bleow our house has bolders the size of a VW rolling down. We are High and dry on the flat. Hope all is well in your world. We have a lot of great shots here with the mountians. Now that I have a digital I might post shots of the River which is dry in the summer. the inlaws are living in Coffs. Will be there in a month. Thanks for the pictures. Richard

Well, it nearly rained here today! :p

Bubinga
9th February 2005, 12:56 AM
Nice cloud pics. Wouldn't want to fly in those.