PDA

View Full Version : A magic little quicky

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 11:48 AM
Got a commission for a magic wand, I got a photo and a total length, need for the opening of the new Harry Potter movie on the 13th at midnight. I ordered some of the Queen Ebony which I got yesterday and got straigh into so I could get it back in the mail and on the road so it will be to its owner before the 13th. I sliced of a 25mm section and proceeded to turn it, look to be going well be as per some of the previous threads on here have said the detailed work kept chipping out. It just wouldn't hold a fine edge. Sharpened everything again and had another run but to no avail. I didn't have time to mess around, soaking in water or other tricks so moved on to a piece of Wenge I had on the shelf but it had too much tear out and clearly wasn't going to have a swish magic wand finish. Hmmm, ok will just have to use some other timber, need some weight to feel substancial, had to stain well, had to hole a finish, had to be strong as it is a faily flimsy stick. Grey Ironbark, has all the above and turns ok. So we have a Grey Ironbark magic wand stained with ebonising solution, wallnut stain, and black prooftint, just to give a good mix of colours and depth. Turned ok but still with all the little ridges it was hard not to loose a few small chips here and there. Finished product looks good though. Now fully charged and ready for use.
Will have to have a play with the ebony and try a few trick or maybe some magic.:U

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2011, 12:29 PM
:2tsup:

There is a bloke up the road from us who claims to make wands & staffs without tools. :think:

I just nodded & smiled & backed away. :D

hughie
9th July 2011, 12:40 PM
:think:

I just nodded & smiled & backed away. :D

wise, very wise, we got enough of them in canberra :U:2tsup:

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 01:20 PM
Just abra cadabra and hay presto a wand, whats his number I'll go get some lessons. I wonder does he have trouble with tear out etc:?:U

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2011, 01:27 PM
Just abra cadabra and hay presto a wand, whats his number I'll go get some lessons. I wonder does he have trouble with tear out etc:?:U
Number? You mean like telephone number? :rolleyes:
I think they use owls but I'm buggered if I know how they address them. :think:

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 01:42 PM
You might be right Cliff, I have this one all packaged up but he hasn't given me his address. We have an owl that hangs around the back yard at night maybe I should just leave it out on the top of the fence tonight:D I have an express bag but I might not need it.

wheelinround
9th July 2011, 01:59 PM
Now that was silly Mark test run should have been done before wrapping.........

Wave wand to get bigger shed with all tools and requirements.

Knowing you and how humble you are you just suggested a small fee in return:;

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Ah Ray, greed is ruining the world everyone wants big, better, faster. I would wave it for world peace, food and shelter for children. Should I get off my soap box now, I'll just have to make a bigger better and more powerful wand, a bigger workshop, narrrr, WORLD DOMINATION!!:D

sjm
9th July 2011, 03:02 PM
Cool. They were very popular at the markets a few years ago. I think the magic has worn off now.

Mulgabill
9th July 2011, 04:39 PM
Yes sjm! The popularity of wands come and go. I have made a few in the past and have noticed that I sell them when there is a new HP movie released. I suppose that is all over now.

Christos
9th July 2011, 05:26 PM
I am stumped for words, the magic has gone.

:U

Nice.

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 05:49 PM
New movie next week, new enthusiasm. This guy has paid $150 magic dollars plus $20 freight. I think there is still a little magic about.

artme
9th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Didn't think a busy bloke like you would have time for aquickie, Claw!:D:D:p

RETIRED
9th July 2011, 08:44 PM
Was wondering who and how long it would take.

I got the who wrong.

Claw Hama
9th July 2011, 10:50 PM
Sorry , you've lost me with the who thing but the how long, if you took out the two false starts it would have only been 2hrs. I used the dividers to scale out the photo supplied based on the length he wanted 15.5", slice off a blank on the table saw and crop the ends, onto the lathe (I had to be gentle and a bit slow as it was fairly flimsy at about 8-9mm in the centre and I don't have a spindal support). Then a quick stain and 2 coats of Ubeaut Hard Shellac - fast and tough. (short time laps overnight) quick rub with 0000 steel wool and dark cabinet makers wax and buff.
The two false starts and fiddling around selecting more timber, scratching my bum etc:doh: added another couple of hours to it but by then I would have only been at home watching the news anyway and this was a lot more fun:U

Artme, I always try and fit in the quickies, they are good for cash flow.

Cliff Rogers
10th July 2011, 11:52 AM
Didn't think a busy bloke like you would have time for aquickie, Claw!:D:D:p

Was wondering who and how long it would take.

I got the who wrong.

Sorry , you've lost me with the who thing but the how long,.....

Artme, I always try and fit in the quickies, they are good for cash flow.
:brick:
Quickie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickie)
:D

issatree
10th July 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi All,
Yes, I've made a few Wands, & as was said, hard to sell, but Claw, I don't do all that Drawing Stuff, I just Turn them & similar in Design as yours.
If you Google " Wooden Knitting Needles " or " Wooden Crochet Hooks ", there are heaps of Handle Designs there.
I send my Needles & Hooks in a piece of Electrical Conduit. I make Plugs & glue 1 end in, & the other has a bit of a tight fit, & I tape it up as well.

issatree
10th July 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Again Claw,
What Tool do you use to make the Wand. I mainly use a 25 x 8mm.Skew, with a longish curved bevel, the same as Richard Raffan uses.
Next, if you put that wood in a Chuck, you will have more Stability in the Wood, & may not Tear. In other words, it wont vibrate as much.
So what Speed do you use.
I do them on 3000RPM., have never had a problem with tear out, & being Left Handed, the handle in my case, would be on the Tail Stock end.
But everyone has a different way of doing things.