PDA

View Full Version : loctite?

fubar
9th July 2011, 09:48 PM
Just wondering what folks use when you need to lock a thread and dont want it coming apart I have a sanding disc on my router and at 10,000 rpm it stays on but after a few stops unwinds from the shaft have tried loctite from autoshop and no good . was wondering about glues?

Pete F
9th July 2011, 10:05 PM
How big is the sanding disk? Is it rated for 10000 rpm? There are different grades of thread locker (loctite), but to be honest I've never come across a sanding disk in a router and it sounds a bit scary. Can you give more information? BTW did you intend to put this in the Hercus area?

Pete

joe greiner
9th July 2011, 10:20 PM
If there's enough room on the thread, consider a jam nut; full height if possible. If the disc hub is round, you'll probably need to grind two flats for wrench purchase. And if there's insufficient hub, drill two holes in the disc to mate with a pin style fixed face spanner wrench, like (B) on this page: McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#pin-spanner-wrenches/=d3ly8x)

This would at least allow removal when you want.

There are other formulas of Loctite which might be more suitable, but check for methods of removal. Heat is supposed to facilitate removal for some of them.

BTW, what on Earth are you sanding at 10,000 rpm?:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

Grahame Collins
9th July 2011, 10:30 PM
It must be a Dremel tool if you are sanding at those RPM.

Has your disc got a speed rating ?

Grahame

fubar
10th July 2011, 12:41 AM
No I didnt mean for it to be in the hercus area (On painkillers due screwdriver thru thumb). and didnt realise I was posting here admin could move to appropiate area.
Its an airsanding disc rated to 10,000 . I wont be sanding at that speed though just giving it as much as possible to test it out. Its a 150mm disc fitted to an 1/2 inch shaft. Fits into the router which is fitted to my Torque work centre for sanding down slabs. Works quite well until I stop then eventually the loctite gives way disc unscrews from shaft but its contained in the dust shroud so other than scratching the test piece no probs.

pipeclay
10th July 2011, 04:24 AM
You didnt mention the type of Loctite you were using,is it Loctite or an other brand.
Super Nutlock should work unless there is too much heat generated through the Sanding opperation.

Have you considered using a Nylock nut.

joe greiner
10th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Try moving to a sacrificial scrap when you shut down the router, to let the sanding disk serve as a brake. The resistance will tend to tighten the disk instead of allowing rotational momentum to loosen it.

A variation of this trick can also work on a large workpiece on a wood lathe to prevent unwinding the face plate from the spindle: Wearing a stout glove (or other protection), gently press against the outermost rim of the workpiece, and let it coast to a stop.

Of course, a jam nut is more idiot-proof.:wink:

Cheers,
Joe

azzrock
18th July 2011, 03:47 AM
hi did you give it any time to cure + clean the parts propely ect

Just wondering what folks use when you need to lock a thread and dont want it coming apart I have a sanding disc on my router and at 10,000 rpm it stays on but after a few stops unwinds from the shaft have tried loctite from autoshop and no good . was wondering about glues?