PDA

View Full Version : cutting cast iron

kraits
10th July 2011, 11:11 PM
hi fellas, ive come across a job these next few days off which involves cutting several holes in cast iron brake drums, not a job ive undertaken before and as i discovered in my ignorance oxy just doesn't cut it, so to speak, just wondering if anyone has dropped a hole saw through cast iron before (105mm) and how it went? any other suggestions?
thanks

Anorak Bob
11th July 2011, 12:25 AM
Kraits,

I've used a hole saw on cast iron on a couple of occasions. The last time, I cut a 63 mm diameter hole through a slice of cast bar about 50 mm thick. Cut from both sides. I used a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust. The work was securely clamped to my drill press table.

BT

kraits
11th July 2011, 07:14 PM
thanks BT, i tried the hole saw today and it looks like i need to buy a new one now. ended up starting a hole with the oxt then cutting the rest of the way with the arc welder at max amps with 2.5mm electrodes, only took me about 1 1/2 hours a hole x3, not the cleanest of cut or fastest but i was able to keep it within the boundries unlike using oxy which was a absolute nightmare.

nadroj
12th July 2011, 09:14 AM
hi fellas, ive come across a job these next few days off which involves cutting several holes in cast iron brake drums, not a job ive undertaken before and as i discovered in my ignorance oxy just doesn't cut it, so to speak

A plasma cutter will.

Jordan