PDA

View Full Version : Roughed out a few wet ones

Cliff Rogers
11th July 2011, 03:01 PM
I did these last Sunday 3-7-11.

They are all from 2 trees that were cut down at the start of June, still very wet.

The 6 at the front are Cadaghi or Cadagi Eucalyptus torelliana (I think) but the timber is quiet a lot different to a Cadagi blank I bought in Melbourne about 4years ago so I'm a tad confused.

The 2 smaller ones at the back left are Sarsaparilla Alphitonia excelsa or petriei or whitei (not sure which one)

I roughed them out Sunday arvo & chucked them in the freezer for a day, then sat them in front of a fan for a day & then repeated the cycle.
They have dried nicely with no signs of cracking or mould, just a small amount of warping.

As you can see, the bigger ones have mounting stubs in the centre so I can reverse them onto the chuck to clean up the foot & back before I finish them.
I didn't bother with the smaller sars ones 'cos I didn't expect them to warp too much.

Wet turning is fun. :2tsup:

cookie48
11th July 2011, 04:12 PM
Nice looking bowls. Have only turned a couple of wet bits. Was a lot easier and good to do.

TTIT
11th July 2011, 10:27 PM
Sarsparilla is alphitonia petriei AFAIK - AKA Pink Ash as opposed to the one we get out here and in the southern rainforests which is Red Ash (alphitonia excelsa) - as if you give a rats!! :U
Your Cadaghi certainly looks different to the sucker I cut out here - growing conditions must vary it considerably like Camphor :shrug:

Groggy
11th July 2011, 10:33 PM
Why do those bowls remind me of Ayrshires :think:

Paulphot
11th July 2011, 11:28 PM
Very nice bowls, can't wait for them to dry out and finish.

pommyphil
12th July 2011, 08:57 AM
Why do those bowls remind me of Ayrshires :think:

Red Friesian ?

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2011, 10:26 AM
Sarsparilla is alphitonia petriei AFAIK - AKA Pink Ash as opposed to the one we get out here and in the southern rainforests which is Red Ash (alphitonia excelsa) - as if you give a rats!! :U
Your Cadaghi certainly looks different to the sucker I cut out here - growing conditions must vary it considerably like Camphor :shrug:
There are definately 2 different types of Sars growing up here, they flower at different times & the grown tree is a different shape.

I called it Cadaghi 'cos it looked like a Cadaghi before I cut it down.... same leaves, same green bark, I was just very surprised to see how white it was inside.