PDA

View Full Version : Lamp shades

turnerted
11th July 2011, 05:42 PM
I am currently playing with making lampshades .I have got them down to about 2mm thick, turned green and was wondering what to finish with to retain the transparency . My normal finish is DO . Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Ted

Ad de Crom
11th July 2011, 07:00 PM
I leave them untreated, so pure natural color.
Ad

turnerted
14th July 2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Ad but I still want to put a finish on them . The timber I've used has great colour so I want to show it off even when the lamps are not switched on . With no finish they show very little colour .
There is a chap in US who makes a living out of lampshades and he refers to using "polymerizing rubbed oil "on his web site . I think he must be referring to polymerized tung oil .
Ted

Avery
14th July 2011, 10:04 PM
What timber are you using Ted?

I have experimented with lampshades, inspired by the fabulous work of Ad de Crom, and I have not found a local timber that becomes translucent at 2mm. The best that I have found is jacaranda, and i need to go a lot thinner than 2mm to get results.

Cliff Rogers
14th July 2011, 10:38 PM
Any pics? :?

:worthless:

turnerted
15th July 2011, 05:34 PM
Avery
The timbers are camphor laurel and bottlebrush . Both have fantastic colour when wet with the light shinning through when turning .
Cliff
You'll have to wait till I'm happy that they're dry then sanded and the finish , what ever, put on.
Ted

Cliff Rogers
15th July 2011, 06:19 PM
Spoil sport.... you are allowed to post WIP. (work in progress) :D